Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Past, present and future of music, some thoughts
I have my own take on this. You can trace an evolution of music, from before the classical era, through the 20th century, when recorded media emerged, together with radio, and blues was stolen by the rock and rollers, which became rock, then metal, swing became pop and dance music, the disco era combined with punk caused almost a revolution, which takes us to the end of the 70's. in the 80's and 90's the evolution continued, with Ska reinventing itself, disco becoming rave, ambient and all kinds of variants of dance music. Rock became heavy metal, which became the new wave of British heavy metal, which became thrash metal, death metal and so on. In amongst all this was the electronic music revolution, and 100's of sub plots, such as new romantic, the Manchester dance scene, grunge and many others. This is a ridiculously short and crude summary of what I am trying to explain. I think you could write a book on this. You then get to the year 2000, the 21st century and all of the evolution just kind of stopped.... There is plenty of good stuff around these days (amongst all kinds of rubbish), but nothing that you could definitively place in the 2000 - 2014 era.

Certainly the excitement that used to surround the "popular" music scene has vanished. And yes, I am a bit pessimistic about the future of music, but you just never know.......

And for all of us, there is plenty of stuff from the past to discover.....

Messages In This Thread
RE: Past, present and future of music, some thoughts - by Confused - 02-Dec-2014, 21:33