Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
PS Audio DirectStream Power Plant 12
I'm sitll happy with the P12, extremely happy.

I have heard the fan. I noticed it switch on for a few seconds the other day when I had had to shut it down to move some gear and the fan came on briefly as I started it up and then stopped. I haven't heard it while playing music.

As I said, it's summer here and we're in heatwave mode on and off. It's been so hot in the room (my house isn't air conditioned and that room is possibly the worst room in the house for heat and humidity in summer) that there are times when I simply can't be in there because it gets too uncomfortable to listen and I still haven't heard the fan kick in while music is playing. I've had the temperature go over 35 degrees Celsius a couple of times so far this summer with relative humidity in the high 70% range which makes things very uncomfortable and the fan hasn't kicked in with music playing, even over long listening sessions. Unless you get higher temperatures than that in Denmark or you're drawing a lot more power from it than I am with your system, then I doubt you would have the fan kick in. We're both running an amp (yours is bigger than mine and will draw a little more because of that plus your speakers are a little less sensitive than mine), a server which probably draws significantly less than your amp, a disc player which I don't have but which is also a relatively low draw, so I think you'd draw more power than I do from a P12 but I even if you drew twice as much power as I do, that would still only be 8-10% of the P12's rated load so the odds of the fan kicking in with that kind of load are pretty low.

As for the noise level from the fan when it came on during start up, it was extremely low and I had to check to see whether it was the fan. It must turn on briefly every time you power the unit up but I've never noticed it before. I think you could call it "whisper quiet".
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: PS Audio DirectStream Power Plant 12 - by David A - 30-Dec-2018, 09:05