Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Meridian MQA
(26-May-2016, 18:37)Confused Wrote: To me, in a world with DSD, 24/192 etc. the concept of a new music format, a format that is not compatible with many existing DAC designs, is somewhere between flawed, doomed or very ambitious.

I won't comment on SQ performance until I have had a chance to audition properly.  I do have my doubts as to MQA's survival though.

To be honest, that's pretty much what I think. Unless MQA can sign up a wide range of content providers then I'm not interested.  I have never been even vaguely tempted by any product that Meridian have produced though I note their sound system is an upgrade option on the Jaguar F-Pace (another brand I've never bought into so far). The 3 litre supercharged F-Pace is quite tempting  Rolleyes
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
This article by Mark Waldrep has links to some interesting technical information/tests regarding MQA, although most of it goes over my head, and a thought provoking article by Jim Collinson of Linn titled "MQA is bad for music. Here's why"
http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=5948
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(17-Feb-2017, 04:04)Axel Wrote: This article by Mark Waldrep has links to some interesting technical information/tests regarding MQA, although most of it goes over my head, and a thought provoking article by Jim Collinson of Linn titled "MQA is bad for music. Here's why"

Link: http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=5948
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Universal have joined in now.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/unive...p-goes-mqa

If they keep this up MQA is on the verge of becoming the first real new music standard since CD.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
The Linn article is a good read. I'm sure they've got their own agenda (not wanting a rival to be so powerful and wealthy no doubt), but I do agree with pretty much all of it.

I guess the one thing it doesn't touch on, is the reason the labels probably aren't so keen on sending high res masters out to the world using free currently available open source technology, is that it will all most likely get ripped off and they won't get paid.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Right now that partly depends on there being more MQA capable DACs than you can count on four fingers.....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(17-Feb-2017, 11:05)Hifi_swlon Wrote: The Linn article is a good read. I'm sure they've got their own agenda (not wanting a rival to be so powerful and wealthy no doubt), but I do agree with pretty much all of it.

I guess the one thing it doesn't touch on, is the reason the labels probably aren't so keen on sending high res masters out to the world using free currently available open source technology, is that it will all most likely get ripped off and they won't get paid.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Right now that partly depends on there being more MQA capable DACs than you can count on four fingers.....

Yes I like Jim Collinson @ Linn. He also moderates the Linn Forum, which of course was the inspiration for Devialet Chat.  Wink

It's great to see thought leadership from some of the manufacturers on some of these topics. Even if we don't always agree it's nice when these companies take the time to communicate and engage with their customers. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(17-Feb-2017, 12:08)GuillaumeB Wrote: .... Even if we don't always agree it's nice when these companies take the time to communicate and engage with their customers. 

Big Grin

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Quote:It's great to see thought leadership from some of the manufacturers on some of these topics. Even if we don't always agree it's nice when these companies take the time to communicate and engage with their customers.

Is it just me or are you perhaps refering to a company called....... a thats it Devialet Big Grin
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

As an owner of a Devialet 400 and more recently the Mytek Brooklyn DAC (connected to a pre/power class AB amp) I think I can add something to the conversation. I have downloaded and listened to some MQA files recently. Firstly they are about 700MB so it takes about 15 mins to download on my slow 8Mbps internet connection. Compare that to about 25 mins for a 24/192 or 40min for a 64DSD.

Now to the sound: The first time I played an MQA file I expected it to sound no better than a 24/192 PCM file. But to my surprise it sounded more like a DSD file. Lots and lots of detail, holographic soundstage, air between the instruments, and absolutely no fatigue. It was like listening to a record on my Rega RP8. I believe this is a very significant step forward in PCM technology, and I can finally listen to streaming Hi-Rez music without any sense of fatigue. Is it better than DSD? No. But is it better than 24/96? Absolutely yes. We can debate about 24/192. Since I started listening to DSD music I understood why people were comparing it to an analogue sound. Music should be detailed but at the same time relaxing and that is what MQA sounds like.

I believe Devialet has the capability to add a software MQA decoder inside the expert/phantom range with a firmware update. Since they have a close relationship with Tidal this capability might not be far off. But I am a believer in MQA because I have had a chance to listen. I think if you are a music lover you owe it to yourself to audition MQA, you shall be pleasantly surprised.
(17-Feb-2017, 18:50)Devialetuser Wrote: I believe Devialet has the capability to add a software MQA decoder inside the expert/phantom range with a firmware update. Since they have a close relationship with Tidal this capability might not be far off.

Confused 

Let's use AIR as example of Devialet's software prowess followed by the list of new features added in firmware updates over the last year and a half.  I suggest you don't hold your breath.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2