Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Roon RAAT and "An audio file is loading slowly"
I incline to believe that David A is right when he states that the difference in network traffic may be caused by the communication errors that occur in the RAAT protocol. I refer to his posts # 159 and # 167:

"When it comes to Roon sending almost twice as much data to the Devialet with RAAT, could that be due to error correction and resent packets due to problems with this gigabit connection problem? People are not getting that problem with AIR and while those with the problem is noticing problems when dropouts occur, that doesnt tell us anything about how much traffic is being resent due to error correction when the error correction process is working and dropouts are being avoided because of it."

"The bottom line in all of that is that we expect higher traffic flows in both directions with RAAT because TCP has higher bandwidth requirements and there may also be extra traffic from Devialet to Roon because Devialet needs to send more data to Roon when using RAAT.Although the amount of traffic in both directions, however, the demand placed on the connection is well within the bandwidth capabilities of both 100 baseT and gigabit ethernet connections so bandwidth alone should not be a concern for quality purposes. "

Even with the additional traffic caused by errors, the total amount of traffic should not cause any problems (it is well below bandwidth - see my post # 168).

Today, I have done new tests using a ROON - DEVIALET communication network, with a speed of 100 Mbps and direct connection (no router).

I used two FLAC files at 192kHz and 44.1kHz, respectively. Traffic is higher with the RAAT protocol only for the 192kHz file (here are more errors, I suspect). However, in the case of the 44.1kHz file, the RAAT protocol traffic is lower than the AIR protocol.

I also remember that I saw in the forum (but I do not know where) that DEVIALET said the product has a general problem with the Ethernet connection, but its effect only becomes visible to the user under certain conditions (one of which is the more traffic great). This assertion seems to be confirmed by the test done today.

In the charts, it is also noted that the RAAT protocol has a much larger traffic at the beginning of the track, which may explain the occurrence of "An audio file is loading slow" error in this protocol.

192kHz AIR + RAAT

44.1kHz AIR + RAAT

Messages In This Thread
RE: Roon RAAT and "An audio file is loading slowly" - by daniel.avasilichioaei - 28-Jul-2019, 08:37