Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone heard the phantom yet?
(27-Feb-2015, 01:31)nonsns3 Wrote: Please provide your initial impressions of the sound.

I only have one and I'm playing through wifi without Dialog so the effect is probably a bit limited. I've had it for maybe a day now so this is just preliminary observations.

As the early impressions from others suggest, the speaker sounds very big. I find myself looking at it with surprise because to me the appearance hints at a different sound than I hear. The design leans a towards the 'lifestyle' so I find myself primed to hear that compressed sound with the artificial mid-bass hump that one gets from "lifestyle" audio products. However what I hear - even from a single speaker - is clear, airy sounds with space and separation so I can hear the elements of the music properly. The response seems to be fairly flat and goes very low - no artificial emphasis, but very solid response.

The most impressive thing to me is the dynamic range. It goes very loud without any hint of distortion and the bass is both deep and fast. However it stays balanced at low volumes too.

Because there is proper bass, some consideration needs to be given to placement. You will get room resonances and nodes, and all that stuff. I initially plonked it on a cupboard, and the whole structure started to resonate. The opposing woofers mean that the machine is not vibrating much, but it is producing a fair bit of energy anyway. So getting a proper stand or the branch would be a good idea.

Messages In This Thread
Has anyone heard the phantom yet? - by amabrok - 10-Jan-2015, 11:20
RE: Has anyone heard the phantom yet? - by rik - 30-Jan-2015, 17:23
Has anyone heard the phantom yet? - by mirekti - 07-Feb-2015, 06:37
Has anyone heard the phantom yet? - by adhesiv - 07-Feb-2015, 08:36
RE: Has anyone heard the phantom yet? - by ogs - 07-Feb-2015, 21:06
Has anyone heard the phantom yet? - by mirekti - 08-Feb-2015, 00:15
RE: Has anyone heard the phantom yet? - by sleach - 27-Feb-2015, 02:52