Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone heard the phantom yet?
Hi !

I spent about two/three hours at La Maison Devialet today, hearing the Ensemble and just after, the Phantom set up (stereo configuration). And have an interesting discussion with the Team.

So, I told us that there was a kind of frustration among us, early adopters, about this new product and his positioning in the Devialet range, with a communication difficult to understand as we could think that Devialet could be able to develop a better product than the Expert range…

First, about the marketing strategy : the Team is used to reading our forum and don’t understand our misunderstanding about the Phantom communication. For them, it’s really clear that Phantom products are dedicated to a new target of customers. That the reason why they used some new street oriented communication codes (tattooed men, naked queen and so on…) The targeted customers are people who don’t know that such a SQ exists… It really is a lifestyle product and the competition = Sonos, Bose Lifestyle… But, believe me, these products are really, really under the performance of the Phantoms… Night and day !!! And that is what is really new with this product : something easy to use, with an incredible sound quality for this price, never heard before. Therefore, the traffic of La Maison is now ten times better than before.
Some people even come to hear the Phantom at 1700 Euros and leave with a classic Ensemble set up at 7000 Euros…

I know that the different Devialet ads bother some of us. But it’s something they assume as they wanted to upset some given ideas… and make the buzz… And if you have a look at the number of reviews and articles on internet, they perhaps are right… Even if it’s not common in the audiophile community… but is Devialet a common brand ? ;-)

Second, about the marketing positioning : there are now two ranges in the Devialet world : the Expert, which is and remains the leading range of Devialet, and the Phantom, which is the Lifestyle product. For the Team, it’s clear and an obvious that the Expert line is BETTER than the Phantom line. The famous miniaturized ADH chip only contains a part of the ADH technology of the Expert line.

Third, about the Expert line : they really want to make this range improve and will have new firmware upgrades in next months… But for now, the launch of Phantom (done in 2/3 months instead of one year for such a product launch !!!) takes all their time, and we can easily understand it. But they remain acitve on the Expert line : for example, the SAM process takes off again, and I saw the Rogers ls3/5a which is the next one !
We are going to benefit from some of the Phantom product development as the Dialog and a new remote control with a screen… For example, the Dialog price will benefit from the whole Phantom range price positioning… It should cost 3 to 4 times more, but the Phantom biggest sales volumes allow to sell it cheaper : 299 Euros. About Spark : I was not able to see it as the Team is improving it… And promise it’s the best app for audiophiles !

Fourth, the Phantom listening session : yes, it really sounds like a really big speaker. Do you remember Quentin Sannié’s words ? They were looking to « recreate the sophistication of £50,000 system in the £1,5k Phantom ». In fact, as they explained me, they wanted to have the same bandwith as a Magico Q3, and especially in the bass extension. And the result is quite amazing ! I think it’s the best all-in-one nomad sound system. But I don’t think it really competes with an Expert amp + good speakers… and prefer the 120 + GT1 or B&W CM’s singing in the other room… More natural tones…

An interesting information : we are 7500 Expert amp owners !

I really want to thanks the « La Maison » Team for their welcome !!!
Devialet 250 ■ Wilson Audio Duette ■ Apple Mac Mini & PiTouch
Audiophonics ethernet cable ■ Audioquest Diamond USB cable ■ LessLoss Anchorwave speaker cables ■ LessLoss Signature power cords

France

Messages In This Thread
RE: Has anyone heard the phantom yet? - by darthsteph - 10-Jan-2015, 00:53
Has anyone heard the phantom yet? - by amabrok - 10-Jan-2015, 11:20
RE: Has anyone heard the phantom yet? - by rik - 30-Jan-2015, 17:23
Has anyone heard the phantom yet? - by mirekti - 07-Feb-2015, 06:37
Has anyone heard the phantom yet? - by adhesiv - 07-Feb-2015, 08:36
RE: Has anyone heard the phantom yet? - by ogs - 07-Feb-2015, 21:06
Has anyone heard the phantom yet? - by mirekti - 08-Feb-2015, 00:15