Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is accrurate sound?
@ogs  - no I am not using HAF filters.  For some reason as much as I tried various different filters, different tweaks for overall tonality etc, I never reached a point where I preferred the HAF filters over running the system in "purist mode".  I do see it as unfinished business though, plus last year I discovered something rather curious.  When I was performing the REW measurements for the HAF filters, I used REW to produce a pair of left / right frequency sweeps.  These I played in Roon so I could stream through my normal SOtM / Mutec kit.  The curious thing is that I used these two left right sweeps at some time last year, at which point I noticed that for some reason the right sweep is at a slightly lower dB level than the left sweep.  I created the two frequency sweeps at the same time, one after the other, changing no settings.  So why the level between the sweeps is different baffles me, it remains a mystery.  So yes I tried HAF filters, but clearly what i was trying was not quite right, although my big issue was that the bass seamed less dynamic to me, never quite as satisfyingly as the bass in "raw mode", which I suspect is one aspect not influenced that much by the sweep imbalance, but who knows, I guess it certainly cannot help.  As much as the HAF filters are impressive, I always feel that using any form of DSP takes something away from the performance.  Subsequent to trying the HAF filters I have changed the room at little, relocated the rack and changed the speaker positions slightly, so my old HAF filters are definitely wrong now for at least two reasons.

If I was to try room correction again, I think I would want to try something like the MiniDSP SHD Studio.  The reason for this is that I could set it up, then experiment with different settings and house curves etc, and have full control over everything, maybe then I might get results that I like. 

That said, I am actually very happy with my system as it is, so I have no strong desire for Room correction to fix anything. 

In other news, I have just set up a new rack, and have performed a rather crude but curiously effective experiment with room treatment.  When I get some time I will update my system thread, there is a fun story behind the rack and the room treatment thing.  From where I am now, I will be doing something with room treatment before I start playing with room correction again.

@David A - I agree with almost everything you have written above.  It reminds me of visiting a Hifi show once, in one room I heard someone saying how these were his "dream speakers", he was in the room when I arrived and still there when I left.  Whist I was listening, someone sat next to me for about one minute, exclaimed "never liked these things, treble to slice your bloody head off", then left shaking his head. (which had not been actually been sliced off by treble)  So yes, each to his own.  I would add one point, in Mitch's article he does talk about personal preferences with tonality and target curves, so it actually looks that in terms of one man's "accurate" being anther man's "not quite right" it seems even "accurate sound" Mitch agrees with you.

@bernardl - I will be honest, I had never even heard of Tekton speakers until reading the above linked article.  I would love to hear a pair, but as they have no dealers and as far as I am aware have never exhibited at a UK show, it looks likely this will never happen. Sad
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
What is accrurate sound? - by Confused - 15-Jul-2020, 19:02
RE: What is accrurate sound? - by ogs - 15-Jul-2020, 20:46
RE: What is accrurate sound? - by bernardl - 15-Jul-2020, 22:48
RE: What is accrurate sound? - by David A - 16-Jul-2020, 00:40
RE: What is accrurate sound? - by bernardl - 16-Jul-2020, 21:24
RE: What is accrurate sound? - by Confused - 19-Jul-2020, 14:24
RE: What is accrurate sound? - by ogs - 19-Jul-2020, 22:15