Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
aspiring user - rookie questions for streaming on a Expert (non Pro)
(18-Apr-2021, 15:49)howardrodman Wrote: Dear <Confused> and <mdconnelly>,

Thank you both!  I'm truly appreciative of your expertise, and of your generosity in sharing it.

There is no Devialet AIR driver/app for MacOS post Catalina, alas (and I'm Big Sur).  So that option is out.

I suspect there are multiple advantages in getting a Roon Nucleus+, both in terms of sound quality and in the ability to stream Tidal (or other hi-res).  My main objection to that is the hideously low revenue that artists/performers/composers get from streamed music.  But that's not a tech question Wink

I'll circle back with more newbie/clue-impaired questions when I get to them.  THanks!

The Nucleus+ no doubt makes for an awesome Roon server, but I have to say that you can save a lot by going the Intel NUC route.  There are plenty of detailed instructions in the Roon knowledgebase that makes it quite easy to setup a NUC.  I switched from using a Win10 PC to a NUC about 5 months ago and it is rock solid and just takes care of itself.  I agree with you about the streaming services not optimally supporting artists.   Personally, I have a large and growing library of music coupled with using Qobuz as a means for discovering new music - a great combination with Roon.  If you find yourself still buying a good bit of music, Qobuz makes that quite easy to do  - particularly if using a Qobuz Sublime subscription.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA

Messages In This Thread
RE: aspiring user - rookie questions for streaming on a Expert (non Pro) - by mdconnelly - 18-Apr-2021, 19:08