Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
aspiring user - rookie questions for streaming on a Expert (non Pro)
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide these explanations!
So, it seems that my dream to have a super essential setup is distant from reality. If I understood correctly, I indeed need a machine to be used as music server. What I was hoping for is to have something that works (at least, as far as I assume) as a Bluesound Node 2i: a device that, connected to the network, scans for music in HDDs and internet and is able to browse it. Instead, Roon or not, my understanding is that the streaming platform from the Devialet Expert (at least, the pre-CI generation) depends on a networked device.

The reason for me to be reluctant to use my own laptop as server is because I use it for all my non-business stuff, while I'd like something that also my wife (and my kids, in the near future) would be able to use regardless my use of the laptop. Also, I have Big Sur installed and, last night, I've learned that Air cannot be installed on Big Sur yet.

So, my options would be (from the most expensive to the cheapest):
- getting Roon and a Roon Core
- getting a Bluesound Node 2i and connect it to the Devialet via digital coaxial
- getting a used Mac Mini (pre-Big Sur), install Air and use it as a basic server, or connecting it to the Devialet via USB and remote controlling its Music app
- getting a Raspberry Pi, ethernet cabling it to the Airport, connecting it via USB to the Devialet and driving it via the Volumio

Am I missing something? Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: aspiring user - rookie questions for streaming on a Expert (non Pro) - by docvale - 01-Dec-2020, 16:01