Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio Resurgence - 220 Pro Review
(01-Apr-2021, 12:46)ogs Wrote: The reviewer seems to be a tube lover. "Sonic Holography algorithm"? I don't think so. Lots of detail, yes - little distortion and colouration, yes - signal manipulation? Definitely NO.
Despite spending "...a lot of time on the active Devialet forum" the reviewer tries DACs on the amplifier's "analog inputs", possibly believing this will bypass the built in DAC.
Re.: the phase thing at ASR; Amir has never measured a 220 Pro, only a D200 so we do not know if the channel timing difference exists in a 220 Pro.

Well, the review says what it says, and I am a great believer in freedom of speech.  As for my personal view, I find the concept that Devialet would add a secret "sonic holography" algorithm to be bordering on the absurd.

I have two main reasons for thinking this.  Firstly, I have been lucky enough to have attended a number of Devialet events where Mathieu Pernot has explained many things about the Devialet design philosophy.  It is all about accuracy to signal, measurements and similar.  All very objective.

Secondly, if Devialet had come up with a "Sonic Holography" algorithm, there is not a chance in this world that they would want to keep it secret.  There would be a page of superlatives on their website about how it was 1000 times more holographic than other holographic algorithms.  Plus it would be obligatory to give this fine feature a TLA, maybe Devialet SHE, Sonic Holography Enhancement" or something.

As for the ASR thing, the strange phase shift graph was produced just before the unit suffered a catastrophic failure and shut down.  So I think it is possible this was just a quirk of something misbehaving just before ultimate failure.  I cannot see any reason whatsoever for any phase differences between channels.

That said, it would be interesting to see this measured and checked on a Pro, or indeed on a not about to fail Expert.  Has anyone got an oscilloscope lying around?

(Or a Pro that they would be happy to send to Amir?)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: Audio Resurgence - 220 Pro Review - by ogs - 01-Apr-2021, 12:46
RE: Audio Resurgence - 220 Pro Review - by Confused - 01-Apr-2021, 14:11
RE: Audio Resurgence - 220 Pro Review - by ogs - 01-Apr-2021, 20:42
RE: Audio Resurgence - 220 Pro Review - by ogs - 01-Apr-2021, 20:33
RE: Audio Resurgence - 220 Pro Review - by ogs - 02-Apr-2021, 00:01
RE: Audio Resurgence - 220 Pro Review - by ogs - 02-Apr-2021, 15:23
Audio Resurgence - 220 Pro Review - by NAS1819 - 26-Aug-2021, 02:43