Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Technical difference between Expert 250 Pro and Expert 220 Pro
(01-Jul-2021, 08:02)Decameron Wrote: Can I get to 250 nirvana by sticking a very large heat sink on my 220 and setting the psu to full whack?

A slightly blunt response from f1eng above, but to be fair I think he is correct.

I suspect that the main problem will relate to exactly what is needed to set the PSU to "full whack".  I do not know all the details, but I believe the PSU is firmware controlled to suit the specific performance and cooling characteristics of each model.

So the question is how would you change the firmware for the PSU?  Maybe someone knows how to do it, but as far as I know it is impossible.

Also, per the thread linked in post #11 of this thread, the DAMP board is different between the 220Pro and 250Pro models, probably due to cooling requirements and maybe the copper base.  (I am speculating a bit here)

But speculation apart, the DAMP boards are different, and without knowing precisely what the implications of this are from a design and performance perspective, it is not possible to establish for sure exactly what adding a big heat sink might do.

In summary, I think only Devialet will know how to revise the PSU firmware from 220 to 250 spec, and only Devialet will know exactly what the influence of the different DAMP boards is to performance.  I somehow doubt Devialet are likely to advise anyone how to change the PSU firmware.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: Technical difference between Expert 250 Pro and Expert 220 Pro - by Confused - 01-Jul-2021, 17:54