Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toslink vs USB
————————————
P A R T T W O
————————————

Well, as i had the rig set for testing, I carried on with the test, adding my 2nd primary source:
The highly regarded Project CD Box RS2T (2500 euro), connected to the Devialet via Kimber KCAG digital RCA cable (400 euros), also using an external linear power supply I got from China.

The cost difference between 1 & 2 was relatively small, but with system 3, it is almost 3k.
I decided to add 2 more albums (Arovane - Atol Scrap & Beatrice Dillon - Workaround) kind of electronic IDM/DUB, deeper bass higher highs, stronger and more rhythmic beats.

While my initial preference to the Toslink (as of previous test) was confirmed at the start, adding System 3 didn't seem to change things much.
By the time a completed the first 20 minutes of all 2 discs, changes were appearing clearer, as the CD player improved things somewhat.
Definitely not day & night with the Toslink based system, but there was greater musicality, individual notes appeared to have a longer tail and be more natural.

There still is one more test I would like to do (as mentioned before), by swapping the cables on the 2 minis, but so far I kind of feel, that overall differences were not as dramatic as I expected.
Definitely of lesser impact than changing speaker or power cables on the Dev.
The CD system had a slight edge over the Mac/Toslink, but I suspect Devialet has done a great job in isolating whatever artefacts come along with the digital signal, from any source, and offer the listener a consistent rendering.
Mac Mini + Matrix X-SPDIF2 + Echoes Music 1  |  Pro-Ject CD Box RS2T  ⏵  Devialet Expert 250 Pro  ⏵  Boenicke W5 SE, B&W ASW 608 Sub

Messages In This Thread
Toslink vs USB - by yanc - 01-Jan-2022, 21:24
RE: Toslink vs USB - by yanc - 01-Jan-2022, 22:56
RE: Toslink vs USB - by hardcore - 02-Jan-2022, 09:29
RE: Toslink vs USB - by renan - 06-Jan-2022, 22:45
RE: Toslink vs USB - by Pim - 07-Jan-2022, 07:15
RE: Toslink vs USB - by yanc - 10-Jan-2022, 23:47
RE: Toslink vs USB - by yanc - 31-Jan-2022, 10:58
RE: Toslink vs USB - by zdenes - 17-Apr-2022, 01:40
RE: Toslink vs USB - by CongoFather - 04-May-2022, 10:51