Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LPCM - better result than let the Dione decoding?
I have no experience with the Dione or with Sony's X800M2 so I went digging through Devialet's and Sony's websites.

According to the FAQ on Devialet's Dione page: "Devialet Dione is not natively compatible with DTS: X content. Nevertheless, you will be able to fully enjoy DTS multichannel audio through SPACE listening modes with DTS:X to PCM conversion."

According to the specs for the X800M2 on Sony's website it can only output 7.1 channel PCM from both Dolby Atmos and DTS:x bitstream soundtracks. In other words, if you want to get the height channel info from Dolby or DTS soundtracks you have to output the bitstream from your X800M2 to a DTS:X and Dolby Atmos capable device. That's pretty standard for a disc player, I think most disc players do not provide PCM output for the .2 channels, they assume that if you want that output you're going to be using an AV receiver or processor which can do that job for you.

What the above info seems to suggest is that you are not going to be able to get the .2 height channel output from DTS:X soundtracks with your x800M2 combination because it can only output that info as part of a DTS:X bitstream which the Dione cannot decode. The Dione is going to extract the 5.1 channel info from the DTS:X bitstream via a SPACE listening mode and give you that, which is exactly what you will get if you output PCM from the X800M2

I assume the Dione is Dolby Atmos capable since it can deliver 5.1.2 surround sound. That means you can send a Dolby Atmos bitstream to the Dione and get the height channels. If you output the Atmos soundtrack from the X800M2 as PCM you will lose the height channel info because the X800M2 can only output full 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos as a bitstream. If it decodes the bitstream it can only output 7.1 PCM. That's why it gives you shows the info for Dolby TrueHD and PCM 7.1, Dplby True HD is the core data part of an Atmos bitstream and only contains the information for PCM 7.1.

If the Dione can use a SPACE listening mode to decode a DTS:X bitstream into surround sound without the height channels than the simplest solution for you is to set the X800M2 to output both DTS and Dolby soundtracks in bitstream format. The Dione will then give you 5.1 channel sound for the DTS soundtracks which is all you can get letting the X800M2 do the DTS decoding, and it will give you Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 from the Dolby soundtracks. There is no other way to get the .2 Atmos channels from the X800M2.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: LPCM - better result than let the Dione decoding? - by David A - 12-Dec-2022, 00:14