Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optical vs Dante for Home Theater
(27-Feb-2023, 21:52)andylyonette Wrote:
(27-Feb-2023, 17:31)Nputcha Wrote: Hi all 

Am about to change my current sonos centric living room home theater to a devialet system. I am trying to understand the trade off between Devialets “phantom theater”, which is built around a jbl sdp-58 + dante ethernet based connectivity (w dante to optical at the last step) vs just using the pre-outs from any Dolby avr processor to feed into an analog to optical converter and connecting those directly to the devialets (after putting the phantoms into direct optical mode) 

Going w the jbl and Dante I’m sure will be great (mostly because the jbl will have Dirac room correction) but that whole setup seems incredibly complex w all the conversions and PoE switches etc. not to mention the expense. 
For my relatively simple home setup with no super long distances for cables, I feel like optical is the best bet. 

Any feedback appreciated for a first time Devialet adopter! 

Thanks!

Hi Nputcha,

This may work if you're going to build a system using purely Phantom 1 but if you plan to use Phantom 2 in the system you will likely come across latency issues because Phantom 2 doesn't have a direct-optical mode and there's a minimum latency of 60ms (see https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Reactors-for-deejaying).  I think there's another thread somewhere of someone trying with Phantom 2 and adding a delay to try and match the Phantom 2s but ended up switching to Phantom 2 custom units, unfortunately I haven't been able to find the thread yet.  It looks like someone has created a home theatre setup without Dante and Phantom 2 here -  Phantom II Custom 5.0 surround system experience and suggestions (devialetchat.com)

Thank you for the reply!!

Yeah it seems like going the phantom 2 custom route for the rears will be my best bet, particularly based on the second link you posted. Thanks so much!

Messages In This Thread
Optical vs Dante for Home Theater - by Nputcha - 27-Feb-2023, 17:31
RE: Optical vs Dante for Home Theater - by Nputcha - 28-Feb-2023, 01:40