Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linn Akurate DSM
Any thoughts on how a Majik or Sneaky DS might fare relative to the Akurate DS as far as SQ using the digital outs? There is a very large price jump between the Majik and the Akurate, but since I imagine a big part of that is from the DAC in the Akurate being much better I wonder whether the Majik (or even Sneaky) might get you the nice Tidal integration and Kazoo interface without much degradation in SQ at about half the price of the Akurate?
I think I can answer my own question. A local dealer has the Akurate, Majik, and Sneaky and we tried all three taking the digital coax out from each (via Nordost Valhalla 2 cable) into my Shure SE846 IEM’s and Chord Hugo DAC/headamp. This made it portable between each unit and removed all variables other than the Linn. Listened to Tidal streaming via Linn app. Not how I would actually use it obviously, but I thought a pretty good way to do the test.

I was hoping that there would be minor differences in SQ that would make the Sneaky and/or Majik a real contender at their price points (the Valhalla cable costs more than the Sneaky I think!) but alas it was not the case. The Akurate was head and shoulders better and with this setup, I thought it sounded pretty spectacular (same smooth, effortless delivery as Air wi-fi….when it is actually working). I wouldn’t be happy with either the Majik or Sneaky (I found those 2 to be pretty close actually, both with a haze/graininess that disappeared entirely on the Akurate). Had they had a DS unit in stock (we were listening to a DSM) and they had offered a bit of a deal off the $7,000 MSRP (throw in the Valhalla cable?) I might have been pretty tempted. With the benefit of hindsight though, if the Akurate is just an 8/10 on the Totaldac 10/10 scale I think I need to hear the D1!
(02-Jun-2015, 17:15)john_h Wrote: I think I can answer my own question. A local dealer has the Akurate, Majik, and Sneaky and we tried all three taking the digital coax out from each (via Nordost Valhalla 2 cable) into my Shure SE846 IEM’s and Chord Hugo DAC/headamp. This made it portable between each unit and removed all variables other than the Linn. Listened to Tidal streaming via Linn app. Not how I would actually use it obviously, but I thought a pretty good way to do the test.

I was hoping that there would be minor differences in SQ that would make the Sneaky and/or Majik a real contender at their price points (the Valhalla cable costs more than the Sneaky I think!) but alas it was not the case. The Akurate was head and shoulders better and with this setup, I thought it sounded pretty spectacular (same smooth, effortless delivery as Air wi-fi….when it is actually working). I wouldn’t be happy with either the Majik or Sneaky (I found those 2 to be pretty close actually, both with a haze/graininess that disappeared entirely on the Akurate). Had they had a DS unit in stock (we were listening to a DSM) and they had offered a bit of a deal off the $7,000 MSRP (throw in the Valhalla cable?) I might have been pretty tempted. With the benefit of hindsight though, if the Akurate is just an 8/10 on the Totaldac 10/10 scale I think I need to hear the D1!

Very investing. Thanks for sharing.

Also in addition to Totaldac D1 also consider Aurender and Melco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Maybe i missed but i didn't understood the final verdict ,

Is Akurate better then AIR ? how much better?

From my understanding Akurate has DAC ( please correct me if i'm wrong)
did you used it with internal DAC and bypass the Deviate's DAC ?

whose DAC is better ?

Thanks
Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
I borrowed Akurate DS from a friend and I have to say it's so much better then my Aurender, the sound is so munch more smooth and analog, I'm in heaven.

I connected Akurate to line-in to Devialet with RCA cable, that way I'm using Akurate's internal DAC , but what happens on Devialet side I don't really understand
Devialet receive the signal and possessing it as well?
If it does, can I bypass the Devialets DAC ?
What is better way to configure sampling rate for Devialet's line-in 96 or 192kHz ?
Will It be better to connect Akurate with digital cable and bypass internal DAC?
Thanks
Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
As far as I know and understand is that all signals going into Devialet will be converted to digital signals and then reconvert to analog signals. So, even if you are using digital interconnects to Devialet, all signals will still be converted. I have look into the Pass Thru setting and it is only bypassing the volume control of the Devialet; ie you control vol from external device which may be your pre-amp.

I set my line-in input to 192kHz, which I don't think matter much, unless we are talking about vinyl input.

Now, all being said, I had tried using iFi iTube and external Audiogen CD player via RCA input to my D200, and I can hear differences. So, if you like the RCA input sound of the Akurate DS, then just go with it.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

I used a Klimax DS originally with my D200 and found the analogue input sounded better set to 96KHz, which i took a bit of time to figure as naturally (because higher numbers are 'obviously' better) I set it to 192KHz to start with.
(21-Sep-2015, 01:18)Stigmater Wrote: I borrowed Akurate DS from a friend and I have to say it's so much better then my Aurender, the sound is so munch more smooth and analog, I'm in heaven.

I connected Akurate to line-in to Devialet with RCA cable, that way I'm using Akurate's internal DAC , but what happens on Devialet side I don't really understand
Devialet receive  the signal and possessing it as well?
If it does, can I bypass the Devialets DAC ?
What is  better way to configure sampling rate for Devialet's line-in 96 or 192kHz ?
Will It  be better to connect Akurate with digital cable and bypass internal DAC?
Thanks

You can not bypass the Devialet ADC/DAC since it is inherent in the way ADH works, but I found it to be transparent so that the sound signature of the analogue sources I tried (on a D-Premier 4 years ago) were recognisably accurate as far as I was concerned. If you prefer the analogue output of the Akurate to its digital output directly into the Devialet this is fine just carry on!
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Thanks all for quick answers

Quote:You can not bypass the Devialet ADC/DAC since it is inherent in the way ADH works, but I found it to be transparent so that the sound signature of the analogue sources I tried (on a D-Premier 4 years ago) were recognisably accurate as far as I was concerned. If you prefer the analogue output of the Akurate to its digital output directly into the Devialet this is fine just carry on!

Correct me if im wrong but from my understanding , all the magic happens with the analogue outputs, no ?
otherwise its just a steamer that using Devialet's DAC.

Someone tried its room correction functionality ? Where instead of mic measurement you need to provide all the information about your listening room including your speakers, sort of SAM .

I tried yesterday and i didn't liked it at all , maybe i done something wrong ?
(05-Jun-2015, 16:17)amabrok Wrote:
(02-Jun-2015, 17:15)john_h Wrote: I think I can answer my own question. A local dealer has the Akurate, Majik, and Sneaky and we tried all three taking the digital coax out from each (via Nordost Valhalla 2 cable) into my Shure SE846 IEM’s and Chord Hugo DAC/headamp.  This made it portable between each unit and removed all variables other than the Linn. Listened to Tidal streaming via Linn app.  Not how I would actually use it obviously, but I thought a pretty good way to do the test.

I was hoping that there would be minor differences in SQ that would make the Sneaky and/or Majik a real contender at their price points (the Valhalla cable costs more than the Sneaky I think!) but alas it was not the case.  The Akurate was head and shoulders better and with this setup, I thought it sounded pretty spectacular (same smooth, effortless delivery as Air wi-fi….when it is actually working). I wouldn’t be happy with either the Majik or Sneaky (I found those 2 to be pretty close actually, both with a haze/graininess that disappeared entirely on the Akurate). Had they had a DS unit in stock (we were listening to a DSM) and they had offered a bit of a deal off the $7,000 MSRP (throw in the Valhalla cable?) I might have been pretty tempted.  With the benefit of hindsight though, if the Akurate is just an 8/10 on the Totaldac 10/10 scale I think I need to hear the D1!

Very investing.  Thanks for sharing.

Also in addition to Totaldac D1 also consider Aurender and Melco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely audition the Bryston BDP-2 with their new sound card!

For $3K in the US, it is exceptional!
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket