Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Devialet not just an amp?
(04-Mar-2015, 00:21)Pim van Vliet Wrote: ok, lets get this back on track.

Womaz, you really don't know what you're buying with a 200, because Devialet seems to think up stuff to implement for the future that you and I haven't thought of. The D-Premier started of as just an amp, then they added AIR, later (with an upgrade) you got SAM. AIR on the 170 started as an upgrade and by the time I got mine it was standard. There's dual mono with 200 and 250. Who knows what they will come up with. The fact is that a lot is possible with the platform you buy and over time I'm sure it will all happen, and more.

Yes I agree with a lot of that. I think the biggest worry for me at this stage is the complexity of it all. It is not that I am incapable of understanding technology, but I work for myself and have a busy life. My music is my downtime and my music is my hobby, its not hi fi. Thats my main concern. I have looked at stuff like using my headphones through the 200, and my god what a faff. I want something that when i have a couple of hours spare I can switch on and enjoy. Constantly doing updates and doing reconfigruations is not what I was looking for.
Also discovered my network player not a good partner so there are a few doubts in my mind. Not even sure I can access radio through it yet - streaming services?? A few bits and bobs I need to clear up.
Having said all that I am still really looking forward to hearing it, and if it sounds as good as people say I will go for it, as that will for me outweigh all of the concerns I have. Whereas I say I dont like the faff, I love the idea of upgraded software and new improvements being added all of the time. The SAM technology seems fantastic. If they keep improving and developing then this really could be a game changing move for me. If they keep tweaking and improving then I might stop looking to find that other bit if kit that will just give me that slightly better sound.
I guess I am hoping that the sound of the 200 blows me away, and that the hassle of configuration etc is only a temporary thing. Looks like my demo unit is arriving on Friday and I am very excited to be honest. The whole music experience, not the messing about is what will ultimately decide which way I go, and despite what I have said above I am very hopeful.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Messages In This Thread
Is the Devialet not just an amp? - by Womaz - 02-Mar-2015, 18:28
RE: Is the Devialet not just an amp? - by Jayr - 02-Mar-2015, 19:29
RE: Is the Devialet not just an amp? - by Pim - 02-Mar-2015, 23:44
RE: Is the Devialet not just an amp? - by Pim - 03-Mar-2015, 14:20
RE: Is the Devialet not just an amp? - by Pim - 03-Mar-2015, 19:03
RE: Is the Devialet not just an amp? - by Pim - 04-Mar-2015, 00:21
RE: Is the Devialet not just an amp? - by Womaz - 04-Mar-2015, 10:06
RE: Is the Devialet not just an amp? - by Pim - 04-Mar-2015, 14:19
RE: Is the Devialet not just an amp? - by gray - 08-Mar-2015, 07:02