Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Devialet not just an amp?
(08-Mar-2015, 12:49)Womaz Wrote: The way I look at it is that every company brings out new products. By the sounds of it the people who bought the original Devialet are still getting their upgrades. Also even without any more upgrades it leaves my current kit trailing a long way behind.

It is inevitable that Devialet will come out with new products, just as every manufacturer does. I understand Gray's point, and certainly the shock is greatest if you buy a product and a new model is released within weeks, or a few months. But that is the same with virtually everything. This year's VW Golf, or Toyota Camry will be replaced by an 'all new model' in a few years. It could be blenders, or skateboards, or iPhones. Hifi is probably less susceptible to the new model syndrome, but it happens everywhere. Judging from your posts, I think you are doing things as well as it can be done: you're asking lots of questions, trying to get answers to the questions you have about your particular needs, and then doing a generous home demo. You've certainly been more thorough than I was.

So if for you, as it is for me, the current Devialet has the sound and features you want then you buy it. It can only be a product of 'now'. It can't anticipate a whole range of possible future products.

Actually, I think that Devialet has already had its 'oh wow' moment of change. Originally there was only the D Premier, at about $15,000.00 (or whatever in Galactic Imperial Credits). Then they came out with the lower cost models which may have been a shock for those that bought in at the initial stage. That said, the DPremier is still an amazing product and has capabilities that the D120 does not have, including a complete hardware upgrade (albeit an expensive upgrade). Other audio companies have pricey hardware upgrade options as well, so in that sense, Devialet is doing well not to leave early purchasers behind.

Personally, my plan is to keep the D120 forever and never buy another amplifier. Even if a new model comes out in Tribal Orange Paisley (which matches my eyes).
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada

Messages In This Thread
Is the Devialet not just an amp? - by Womaz - 02-Mar-2015, 18:28
RE: Is the Devialet not just an amp? - by Jayr - 02-Mar-2015, 19:29
RE: Is the Devialet not just an amp? - by Pim - 02-Mar-2015, 23:44
RE: Is the Devialet not just an amp? - by Pim - 03-Mar-2015, 14:20
RE: Is the Devialet not just an amp? - by Pim - 03-Mar-2015, 19:03
RE: Is the Devialet not just an amp? - by Pim - 04-Mar-2015, 00:21
RE: Is the Devialet not just an amp? - by Pim - 04-Mar-2015, 14:19
RE: Is the Devialet not just an amp? - by gray - 08-Mar-2015, 07:02
RE: Is the Devialet not just an amp? - by gray - 09-Mar-2015, 03:36
RE: Is the Devialet not just an amp? - by Damon - 09-Mar-2015, 04:07