Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantoms delivered this afternoon
(10-Mar-2015, 22:00)Jwg1749 Wrote: How hard is it to design a piece of networking kit that doesn't overheat? And how come Devialet, with their financial backing, can't produce a decent control point GUI, when Sonos managed to get it right 10 years ago?

I can't really speak for the Dialog, who knows what might be going on quite frankly. It might just be an early production anomaly.

Regarding control point GUIs these seem to give audio companies the biggest headaches and more often than not they just don't work well. I think Sonos is the glaring exception here, having used the system myself I have to say none of the others come remotely (haha) close. Well Linn are getting there with Kazoo but look what a nightmare they have had with it, and Linn have been in the UPnP streaming game since 2007. They even created the OpenHome specification which many other companies are now using. 

To expect a company to dream up a brand new CP in months is just fanciful IMHO. Frank's right, it could take years. I hope not of course and no doubt Devialet will throw some serious resources behind it if they want to shift 150k Phantoms a year. But just throwing more developers at the problem doesn't necessarily resolve things either. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK

Messages In This Thread
Phantoms delivered this afternoon - by f1eng - 06-Mar-2015, 18:31
RE: Phantoms delivered this afternoon - by DSJ - 07-Mar-2015, 20:54
RE: Phantoms delivered this afternoon - by DSJ - 07-Mar-2015, 21:38
Phantoms delivered this afternoon - by mirekti - 08-Mar-2015, 18:09
RE: Phantoms delivered this afternoon - by Phs - 09-Mar-2015, 17:28
RE: Phantoms delivered this afternoon - by GuillaumeB - 10-Mar-2015, 22:25