Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any recommended speaker on the SAM list that sounds BIG?
Hi all,

I had purchased a pair of Harbeth C7 ES3 speakers right before I discovered the Devialet. I have since obtained a full D400 setup and things are sounding fantastic. However, it is my belief that with the D400, I should be able to replicate some of the "BIG BIG BIG" sound that I hear at audio shows and dealer rooms. While with the Harbeths it's all there - linear frequency response, accuracy, musicality, soundstage - the sound is limited to something like a 8 ft width and 3-4 ft height.

Is there something on the SAM list that meets the following criteria?

1. Big, tall sound
  2. Superb vocals
  3. Good/decent aesthetics
  4. If possible, no need for enormous amounts of space from rear wall
  5. <$10k used

Sorry for such an open ended question. I've read through a lot of posts here, and on other sites, but nobody seems to talk about the size of the image being portrayed, and on other sites, it's never mated with the Devialet SAM list.

For reference, my listening space is about 13 feet deep (let's assume this is the limiting factor, not the width or height of the room). The speakers are about 3 ft forward from the wall, and 8 ft away from the listener.

Thanks in advance!
Devialet 1000Pro CI + Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M
Isophon/Gauder Akustik - Cassiano!
Hmm, interesting speaker! Never heard of the brand. But - they ate $17.5k new and $12.5k on Audiogon. I think these are a bit priced out of my range right now. That said, there is a pair of traded-in Magico S1s at one of our local dealers. From everything I hear they are great speakers, but does $9k buy you a lot more than Magicos these days?
(23-Mar-2015, 06:52)absolutk Wrote: Hi all,

I had purchased a pair of Harbeth C7 ES3 speakers right before I discovered the Devialet. I have since obtained a full D400 setup and things are sounding fantastic. However, it is my belief that with the D400, I should be able to replicate some of the "BIG BIG BIG" sound that I hear at audio shows and dealer rooms. While with the Harbeths it's all there - linear frequency response, accuracy, musicality, soundstage - the sound is limited to something like a 8 ft width and 3-4 ft height.

Is there something on the SAM list that meets the following criteria?

1. Big, tall sound
  2. Superb vocals
  3. Good/decent aesthetics
  4. If possible, no need for enormous amounts of space from rear wall
  5. <$10k used

Sorry for such an open ended question. I've read through a lot of posts here, and on other sites, but nobody seems to talk about the size of the image being portrayed, and on other sites, it's never mated with the Devialet SAM list.

For reference, my listening space is about 13 feet deep (let's assume this is the limiting factor, not the width or height of the room). The speakers are about 3 ft forward from the wall, and 8 ft away from the listener.

Thanks in advance!

Go big with small and have a look at Raidho X1. They perform a big soundscape with pinpoint stereo focus, vocals oh so real and lovely bottom octaves as long as you do not crank the volume too much and SAM cuts in.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Mike, do you think the X-1 does the D400 justice? Or is it limiting the D400's capabilities? I will be augmenting the sound with a sub, but still, the 50Hz low end does not make me happy.
(23-Mar-2015, 09:10)absolutk Wrote: Mike, do you think the X-1 does the D400 justice? Or is it limiting the D400's capabilities? I will be augmenting the sound with a sub, but still, the 50Hz low end does not make me happy.

Hi,

X1 is a fantastic transducer and I think that the D400 is the one that need some help in terms of better power and speaker cables (my system of course). I chose the X1 over SF Amati Futura (ok bass is better with Amati) but I also preferred X1 over its bigger brothers C1.1 and D1 (at the time of test and equipment). X1 and D1 sound quite alike to me (with Devialet), more output from D1, perhaps a smidgen more resolution but also with a mid bass hump that I didn't like.

My hope at the moment is that I can buy a Phantom Silver and use it for a sub and cut the X1 at 70-80 Hz. However, still no compatibility with the Expert line, so I just have to wait and better that because an alternative to my X1 would be the X3 or D2 from Raidho and that is a whole new ballpark of costs.

X1 has by the way its port at the front to make them a bit more room friendly.

X1 stands definitely need other feet. Changing these like I did, even if it is my own design with ceramic balls, made a real difference. Buying the best feet from Raidho sister company Ansuz will cost you the same as a pair of speakers.

/Mike 
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
With the Devialet 400, I would recommend B&W, Wilson Audio or maybe even Magico.
Samurai, I'm not sure why (perhaps I'm a snob) but the idea of an B&W speaker in my living room is not appealing to me. Note that I am *not* looking for just any speaker to match with the Devialet. I'm willing to let go of micro dynamics, and perhaps even some accuracy, for that echo-ey, decay-ey big sound.

Mike, thanks for your observations on the X-1. I am more and more leaning towards the speaker. I saw your post elsewhere about the machined feet. Would you happen to have a SketchUp or a schematic otherwise for the stands? Would love to build them locally or, if you are so kind enough, trouble you with making another set if/when the speakers come home.

I am no fan of the looks of the X-1, but everything else fits the bill. In fact, the only speaker in the looks category that has appealed to me as yet are the Focal Diablo Utopia (a very polarizing design).
Hey absolutk,
Focal Diabolo Utupia, give you not a big sound, how do you will get. The Utopia need space around and sounds well in rooms about 25 - 30 qm
(24-Mar-2015, 05:55)absolutk Wrote: Samurai, I'm not sure why (perhaps I'm a snob) but the idea of an B&W speaker in my living room is not appealing to me. Note that I am *not* looking for just any speaker to match with the Devialet. I'm willing to let go of micro dynamics, and perhaps even some accuracy, for that echo-ey, decay-ey big sound.

Mike, thanks for your observations on the X-1. I am more and more leaning towards the speaker. I saw your post elsewhere about the machined feet. Would you happen to have a SketchUp or a schematic otherwise for the stands? Would love to build them locally or, if you are so kind enough, trouble you with making another set if/when the speakers come home.

I am no fan of the looks of the X-1, but everything else fits the bill. In fact, the only speaker in the looks category that has appealed to me as yet are the Focal Diablo Utopia (a very polarizing design).

Hi,

You need to home demo of course, mandatory, to see if they fit your ears! I agree the form factor of the X1 isn't on top as my wife pointed out as soon as the landed in the system. Anyway she accepted the situation due to the hike in system performance Smile
They are small speakers so they do not disturb, space wise, in the listening room.
Fast and dirty to ceramic ball feet, see below.

Start to order 2 sets of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valab-Audio-Vibr...19fd41b9c9 

and a set of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-Si3N4-6mm-...4ad13cae42

Not a big outlay, but begin there and see what it does for your system. These are not adjustable so if you have an uneven floor....

I am currently designing my own 3 ceramic ball adjustable feet construction. However it will take time as my job cuts most hours of my life plus family. My music time is now 10 pm and later every day with exception of the days when I work from home. 

Writing these lines is just my reboot time from work...

/Mike