Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 or 2 d premiers?
Getting a set of Giya G1 speakers and a demo D premier to drive them , The D premier is not upgraded and is costing me around $7000 , I can get another one at $7000 (both matt black).
The G1's are 91 db sensitive and handle 800w.

Some Thoughts:
If one amp goes , at least I would have music from the other one whilst one is in for repairs
I can amplify using the giya G1's as monoblocks.. increasing dynamics and power
I can use one Devialet for mids/treble/midbass , and another for the bass drivers only (truly splitable Xover)
If I use one devialet just for bass , hopefully I can stick one of my low bass correction systems in line with it and only use it on the low bass , the rest of the signal path is unmolested.

I am only getting my stuff end October.. so not quite sure what to do , get the 2nd Devialet or not?
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
if you can afford it get the 2nd one. I'm using a G2 which perfectly works with a single Devialet, but in dual mono it sounds simply better, even with low volumes. Maybe you never get the opportunity again to buy a second black D-premier...
Yeh, I'm real tempted , I was going to try run the bass units of the G1's with a Rotel 250w Class D or perhaps a Crown Xti 6002.. but a D premier is a more appealing combo.
I have heard a G1 system with dual mono's and was utterly blown away.
I see you call yourself Vivialet... I call my combo the Giyalet Smile

If you link the 2 amps in a vertical config , ie not dual mono , but one driving the bass , the other the rest , can I put , for example , a Acourate based miniDSP unit in the digital link before the bass amp?
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
A year ago, I had a dealer demo of the 240 vs the 500, with my chosen speakers, KEF Blades. At the time I thought that there was indeed an improvement with the 500, but I thought it was quite small and not worth the considerable extra cost, so I bought a 240. One year on, and my dealer offered a loan 250 for a weekend, this was towards the end of the 10% discount offer Devialet were making for the slave.

On the Saturday with the loan slave, I made up a 3 hour playlist of tracks, the plan was to spend Saturday listening to the 800 with this playlist, making listening notes. Then on Sunday, re listen on the 800 to all the tracks with interesting listening notes, then revert back to the 250 for comparison, playing the full playlist. Having made this plan my expectation was that I would again just hear a very small difference and would not be buying.

About 15 minutes through the playlist on the Saturday with the 800, I was beginning to think, this sounds superb! I did wonder if I was kidding myself (auditions like this mess with your mind), but I had more or less made my mind up to buy the slave there and then. Anyway, I continued listening to the entire playlist, revisited about 40 minutes of tracks with the 800 on Sunday, then listened to the entire 3 hour playlist again back with the 250. The difference was clear, the 800 was better. Overall it just sounded more effortless, and to me sounds like it has a much higher definition, higher resolution sound, more natural, or less "grain" as some would say. I took a lot of trouble doing the comparison, and for me I can state that yes, the 800 was a clear step up. As an example, when listening to one track on the 800, I made a listening note regarding the female vocal sounding very special. Back with the 250, I couldn't work out why I thought it was so special before. There were some qualative points to note as well, one track with the 800 was causing an item of wooden furniture at the back of the room to resonate, this didn't occur with the 250! So something was different. People use many strange terms to describe improvements in sound quality (to this day I have no idea what "more air between notes" actually means), but in summary, the 800 is more natural, effortless, higher resolution and sounds "fuller", magnificent sounding music sounds more magnificent and so on. One point to note, the key to good hi fi is matching the speaker with the amplifier, so the delta between a 250 and 800 could vary enormously between different speakers. I can only really comment for the 800 with KEF Blades, having said that, there are some similarities between the Giya's and the Blades.
Thanks confused.. The 800 being the 2 x D premiers in dual mono and the 250 , just a single one ?
So in your opinion the 2 amps in dual mono are a BIG step up from the single amp?
The 800 is of course 2 x D250's in dual mono. Although I believe the old D500 was just about the only thing Devialet ever quoted at 8 ohms, so the power difference D-Premier D500 to latest D800 is not as big as it appears. Is it a BIG step up? Hard to say. One man's massive improvement is another man's, well ok it is maybe slightly better. I can only speak for myself, my own ears and my own system, but the improvement was enough for me to buy the companion new.

As another thought..... There is potentially a good improvement to be had from SAM. This is obviously not an option with the D-Premier. Will the G1's ever get SAM? I have no idea, but it might be worth checking this with Devialet. If they will eventually get it, I would think hard about going for a D250 (with a view to go D800) or maybe even a D400. If you are reasonably sure that the G1's won't get SAM, then two D-Premiers would be a fine option I think.
Devialet has SAM'ed the G3 and G4 so I would think they would do the G1 and G2 soon to complete the set
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England