Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
103db doesn't vibrate?
So I tested the 108dbs in the store and fell in love with the speakers and the way that they vibrate. I ended buying a pair of 103dbs as the wife couldn't tolerate the power the 108s were pushing. I brought them home and set them up and noticed that they don't vibrate anywhere near the way that the 108s did in the store. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? I only play them on around 50-60 but I remember them vibrating like crazy in the store... any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Hi and welcome to DC!
Congratulations on your new speakers, they are awesome!
Do you lack bass while playing music or do you just want to see the woofers flapping? Have you turned on night mode? The flapping woofers depends on the music played and the volume. If it sounds OK I wouldn't worry. In my setup the woofers seldom moves a lot and there's plenty of bass, often too much.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
I suspect the store was playing music that specifically emphasised the bass a trick they use to have immediate impact. My Silvers don’t vibrate much under 60 and even then only with certain music.
They only start flapping when the speakers struggle to play the really low notes / proper sub bass at a certain volume.

Probably there was lots of sub bass in those demo tracks
There several videos on youtube with frequency test sounds, you can try to look for a video with a very low frequency (18Hz for example) and play it through your Phantom just for testing, mine 108s also don't vibrate much on everyday use, I normally always have them below 60. But if you play a very low frequency that's when they vibrate more.
Try a bass heavy track like James Blake – Limit To Your Love.
I've noticed it isn't really low bass that gets them flapping.
More like 60-100hrz bass.
Try playing Sunflower (Spiderman song) by Post Malone and watch the cheeks flap!
play this song called .... bass i love you