Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
120 vs. low sensitivity speakers
Hello all!

I am very interested in picking up the 120, but I am concerned about system synergy.  My speakers are DIY averaging around 6 ohms and only have about 83dB sensitivity.  They do like their current!  They are now located in a room 15'x18' (5x6sqm). Usually I would just step up to the larger power offering if I was in doubt.  However, the 120 is already beyond my usual affordable limit with the 200 in never, neverland.  As much as I would like to save up for the 200, household finances will never allow it.  Sad

So, that leaves me wondering if I will be disappointed with the pairing of the 120 with my speakers.  I am nervous about the bass authority and control.

Anyone else out there have hard to drive speakers paired with the 120?
Be alert! The world needs more lerts.
(02-Mar-2016, 19:31)Finleyville Wrote: Hello all!

I am very interested in picking up the 120, but I am concerned about system synergy.  My speakers are DIY averaging around 6 ohms and only have about 83dB sensitivity.  They do like their current!  They are now located in a room 15'x18' (5x6sqm). Usually I would just step up to the larger power offering if I was in doubt.  However, the 120 is already beyond my usual affordable limit with the 200 in never, neverland.  As much as I would like to save up for the 200, household finances will never allow it.  Sad

So, that leaves me wondering if I will be disappointed with the pairing of the 120 with my speakers.  I am nervous about the bass authority and control.

Anyone else out there have hard to drive speakers paired with the 120?

Welcome Finleyville!

The ideal way to solve your doubt would be to home demo the 120.

How much power output provides your current amplifier? The 120 means exactly 120 watt per channel through 6 ohms.

Sorry for not being of that much help, but I really hope the 120 works for you. It's, as you know, a marvellous piece of kit, and don't worry about not being able to stretch to the 200, all what matters is that you are happy with the sound coming from your speakers with the 120 Smile

ML
Aurender X100 >> Totaldac USB cable >> D200 >> SF Olympica II

Italy
Hello Finleyville,

I also have D120, and like you, it was a stretch of the finances that required about 6 months of debate (internal and on the domestic front) before I could make the purchase. So I get you there.

Previously I had entry level Naim equipment, a Nait 3, then a UnitiQute. I was also using ProAc Tablets and Opera Operetta speakers; both small, relatively current-absorbing speakers. I think, but I don't know for certain, is that they were both about 86 db sensitive.

I will say that the D120 drives the smaller speakers in a way that is completely different to the Naim equipments. I understand that I was dealing with 30 watts of Naim power vs about 90 for the D120 (into 8 ohms), but the bass capability of the Devialet is quite outstanding. Control, clarity and detail are standout strengths of even the D120. No doubt 'more Devialet' will be better, but the bass performance is the first aspect of the sound that people comment on when I play music for them at home.

I'd also add that, as a bass player, I find the tone and subtleties of the bass extremely pleasing and 'real'. That is as important as the slam-factor, IMHO.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Question 
Thank you MusicLover and Damon (Vancouver eh?  I'll be visiting your beautiful city this Saturday! lol) for the quick replies!  Anyone else want to chime in?

I am currently using an Odyssey Khartago Extreme amplifier.  The specs can be found HERE.  According to Klaus my extreme unit outputs around 120W @ 8 ohms.  While I have not listened to every amplifier out there, my Odyssey has the quickest and most controlled response I have heard.  At least anywhere near my level of purchasing power.  It is just missing that lower end (think below 80Hz) presence.  Since the upright bass is my favorite instrument, I love to hear all of the nuances that my Odyssey gives.  I just wish it had MORE of it.

My 3-way speakers with their 8" drivers can respectfully provide that lower authority when given enough power.  I did hear a modified Rotel RB-1090 with my system.  While the bass was more prominent with over double the power, it had no where near the total control and liveliness of the Odyssey.  

So I guess I am looking for a combination of those two amps.  I really wished I could demo a 120 one day, but I do not think that could ever happen.

Here is a pic of my current speakers:  (Sorry about the crappy pic.  The gloss carbon fiber reflects everything poorly.)

[Image: IMG_3109_zps2cawshhb.jpg]
Be alert! The world needs more lerts.
(02-Mar-2016, 20:41)Finleyville Wrote: Thank you MusicLover and Damon (Vancouver eh?  I'll be visiting your beautiful city this Saturday! lol) for the quick replies!  Anyone else want to chime in?

I am currently using an Odyssey Khartago Extreme amplifier.  The specs can be found HERE.  According to Klaus my extreme unit outputs around 120W @ 8 ohms.  While I have not listened to every amplifier out there, my Odyssey has the quickest and most controlled response I have heard.  At least anywhere near my level of purchasing power.  It is just missing that lower end (think below 80Hz) presence.  Since the upright bass is my favorite instrument, I love to hear all of the nuances that my Odyssey gives.  I just wish it had MORE of it.

My 3-way speakers with their 8" drivers can respectfully provide that lower authority when given enough power.  I did hear a modified Rotel RB-1090 with my system.  While the bass was more prominent with over double the power, it had no where near the total control and liveliness of the Odyssey.  

So I guess I am looking for a combination of those two amps.  I really wished I could demo a 120 one day, but I do not think that could ever happen.

Here is a pic of my current speakers:  (Sorry about the crappy pic.  The gloss carbon fiber reflects everything poorly.)

[Image: IMG_3109_zps2cawshhb.jpg]

Nothing to do with the post, but welcome to the forum, and those are nice looking home brew speakers!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England