Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to configure your Expert; Pim and Axel's method
Music 
Hi guys,

I was just reading about configuration troubles on another thread. Threads like that pop up once in a while and I always try to help out. To make this easier I'm writing this How to. This is not about what you do in your configuration, this is only about how you do the configuration. I hope it helps people.

Pim's method:

An Expert needs two things to work; Firmware and a Configuration. Dual mono setups need Firmwares and Configurations done for both the Master and the Companion. Start with the Firmware first, the Configuration next.

I have a folder on my laptop with all my Devialet Firmwares and Configurations in it. I suggest you do the same. It will make your life a LOT easier. The folder structure should be as follows; 
One folder for Firmware with in it seperate appropriately named folders for each Firmware version you have. Then another folder for Configurations with seperate appropriately named folders for each Configuration you have. It's less important for Firmware because they are named when you download them already but Configurations are all named the same (dp_cfg.txt) so keeping them in an appropriately named folder is the only way to identify them. For dual mono, have another two folders in your named Configurations folders named Master and Companion. *

Don't download to your SD card. Just download (Save as) to the folder you want to keep it in. 

So before you do anything with your Expert, have the Firmware and Configuration(s) ready in your folders first.

Firmware first. So here we assume you have downloaded your new firmware version and saved it in the right folder on your computer as per above. 

Now the SD card. This is where I get pedantic and I suggest not to skip any steps I write here. I have no proof but I have a theory and plenty of people probably get away with less steps but I'm sticking with this because it's fool proof.

1.  Insert your SD card into your computer and delete everything that's on it.
2.  Take out your SD card.
3.  Insert your SD card back into your computer.
4.  Check that there's nothing on the SD card. Now you're 100% sure that you haven't left anything behind that will mess with your Expert's mind.
5.  Copy the Firmware files from the folder you have previously saved it in. You need the files only. Not the folder that the files are in and also not the manual (a PDF file) that           sometimes comes with the files. There used the be about 15 or 16 or something but nowadays there are 18 files. Don't worry about how many there are as this might change over time.
5A. If you have a Dual Mono setup, do the same 5 steps for the Companion's SD card.
6.  Turn the power to you Expert(s) off. If you don't have a switch; Pull the plug. 
6A. If you have a Dual Mono setup, make sure the link cables are connected. 
7.  Insert the SD card or cards for Dual Mono.
8.  Turn the power back on or plug back in. For Dual Mono setups don't forget the Companion.
9.  Press the front power button and watch the pretty pictures on the display (s)
10. After the Expert has gone through it's sequence, switch it off and turn the power back off or pull the plug(s)  

That's the Firmware done. Now to the Configuration.

Follow steps 1 to 9 above, just copy the Configurations instead of the Firmware. Don't leave the Firmware on the SD card. I've read that some people have done this without any issues but if you're reading this you probably do have issues so just be pedantic for an extra two minutes and you'll be enjoying the music right away rather than farth-assing around with configurations over and over.
10.  After the Expert has gone through it's sequence, play music.

If you encounter a problem with your system and it feels like it might have something to do with Firmware or Configuration download the firmware again and make up a NEW Configuration on the website. If you encounter a problem NEVER MAKE CHANGES TO THE OLD CONFIGURATION TO TRY AND FIX IT. MAKE UP A NEW ONE! The website has its troubles sometimes and it's better to start afresh than to work with something that's broken. Believe me, it saves valuable music listening time if you take the long way home

Edit: Some extra information from @Axel :

- There have been people who had troubles using Safari to download the files. If you're one of them, use Chrome instead and before and after each configuration download, clear the browsers cache by clicking on the three vertical dots at top right of the screen then go to settings>advanced settings and scroll down until you see the option required.

- It might be worth redoing your config to see if it solves the problem. Recently I made an anonymous (without logging in to my account) config from scratch.  

* The folder structure not only helps keep track of what sits where. It also helps when you have troubles. If one Configuration doesn't work for some reason and you download another one, you can compare the two. if you get used to download to the SD card you will be told by your computer that there's already a file with that name on the card and whether you want to replace it or not. If you do, you will never have a chance to compare the two again because the previous one is gone. Or worse, you might not do it right and because the name doesn't change you don't know whether or not you've actually replaced the old file.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Pim
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(04-Oct-2017, 11:12)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Hi guys,

I was just reading about configuration troubles on another thread. Threads like that pop up once in a while and I always try to help out. To make this easier I'm writing this How to. This is not about what you do in your configuration, this is only about how you do the configuration. I hope it helps people.

Pim's method:

An Expert needs two things to work; Firmware and a Configuration. Dual mono setups need Firmwares and Configurations done for both the Master and the Companion. Start with the Firmware first, the Configuration next.

I have a folder on my laptop with all my Devialet Firmwares and Configurations in it. I suggest you do the same. It will make your life a LOT easier. The folder structure should be as follows; 
One folder for Firmware with in it seperate appropriately named folders for each Firmware version you have. Then another folder for Configurations with seperate appropriately named folders for each Configuration you have. It's less important for Firmware because they are named when you download them already but Configurations are all named the same (dp_cfg.txt) so keeping them in an appropriately named folder is the only way to identify them. For dual mono, have another two folders in your named Configurations folders named Master and Companion. *

Don't download to your SD card. Just download (Save as) to the folder you want to keep it in. 

So before you do anything with your Expert, have the Firmware and Configuration(s) ready in your folders first.

Firmware first. So here we assume you have downloaded your new firmware version and saved it in the right folder on your computer as per above. 

Now the SD card. This is where I get pedantic and I suggest not to skip any steps I write here. I have no proof but I have a theory and plenty of people probably get away with less steps but I'm sticking with this because it's fool proof.

1.  Insert your SD card into your computer and delete everything that's on it.
2.  Take out your SD card.
3.  Insert your SD card back into your computer.
4.  Check that there's nothing on the SD card. Now you're 100% sure that you haven't left anything behind that will mess with your Expert's mind.
5.  Copy the Firmware files from the folder you have previously saved it in. You need the files only. Not the folder that the files are in and also not the manual (a PDF file) that           sometimes comes with the files. There used the be about 15 or 16 or something but nowadays there are 18 files. Don't worry about how many there are as this might change over time.
5A. If you have a Dual Mono setup, do the same 5 steps for the Companion's SD card.
6.  Turn the power to you Expert(s) off. If you don't have a switch; Pull the plug. 
6A. If you have a Dual Mono setup, make sure the link cables are connected. 
7.  Insert the SD card or cards for Dual Mono.
8.  Turn the power back on or plug back in. For Dual Mono setups don't forget the Companion.
9.  Press the front power button and watch the pretty pictures on the display (s)
10. After the Expert has gone through it's sequence, switch it off and turn the power back off or pull the plug(s)  

That's the Firmware done. Now to the Configuration.

Follow steps 1 to 9 above, just copy the Configurations instead of the Firmware. Don't leave the Firmware on the SD card. I've read that some people have done this without any issues but if you're reading this you probably do have issues so just be pedantic for an extra two minutes and you'll be enjoying the music right away rather than farth-assing around with configurations over and over.
10.  After the Expert has gone through it's sequence, play music.

If you encounter a problem with your system and it feels like it might have something to do with Firmware or Configuration download the firmware again and make up a NEW Configuration on the website. If you encounter a problem NEVER MAKE CHANGES TO THE OLD CONFIGURATION TO TRY AND FIX IT. MAKE UP A NEW ONE! The website has its troubles sometimes and it's better to start afresh than to work with something that's broken. Believe me, it saves valuable music listening time if you take the long way home

* The folder structure not only helps keep track of what sits where. It also helps when you have troubles. If one Configuration doesn't work for some reason and you download another one, you can compare the two. if you get used to download to the SD card you will be told by your computer that there's already a file with that name on the card and whether you want to replace it or not. If you do, you will never have a chance to compare the two again because the previous one is gone. Or worse, you might not do it right and because the name doesn't change you don't know whether or not you've actually replaced the old file.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Pim

Thanks PIM. Very helpful detailed description. It's completely consistent with the procedure followed by two different Devi techs who are working on my problem but sadly, the answer seems to be "upstream" from my config.  I don't know for sure but there appears to be a bug in the works somewhere. Your post is an excellent guide!
Wink 
@Pim
I’m honoured to be mentioned with you in a thread title, sir!

Can I also pass this on again as well, as it worked for me, and it might help@Celts88 , when he has a chance to try it all:
https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...s#pid73173

Good luck with it@Celts88 , hope you get it sorted soon.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(06-Apr-2018, 16:15)Axel Wrote: @Pim
I’m honoured to be mentioned with you in a thread title, sir!

Can I also pass this on again as well, as it worked for me, and it might help@Celts88 , when he has a chance to try it all:
https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...s#pid73173

Good luck with it@Celts88 , hope you get it sorted soon.

Thanks for calling me 'sir' and making me feel old Axel.  Dodgy

I've added your bit about the anonymous config to our 'How to'
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.