Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
140 upgrade options
Looking to get some thoughts from the internet braintrust. 

Currently have an Expert Pro 140, driving a set of Magico A3s. 

I'm relatively happy with it, but it does seem to run out of steam as the volumes rise so am considering an upgrade. For space reasons, I need to stick with a Devialet amp, so I'm looking at three options, and would be curious to hear  from others who might have gone through a similar upgrade themselves.

Option 1: Buy a second 140 and go dual mono (210). 
Options 2: Replace 140 with a 220. 
Options 3: Wait for a used 440 to come to market.

I've done reading about the difference dual mono can bring to a system, so I understand what adding a second 140 might bring to the system. 

Request:
  • I'd be curious to hear if anyone has gone from a 140->220 and if they felt that particular upgrade was worth it. 
  • Curious if any of those who purchased a 440 considered the 210 route and may have done a back-to-back test. There are currently 140s for sale which I could get that now, for a lot less money. Otherwise would need to wait for a used 440 to come for sale.

Appreciate your input!
Do you have an turntable? Because the 220 has an better phono pre which in my case was a nice uograde in SQ. I went from an 140 pro ci to an 220pro ci and found it to be an good upgrade. It gives you an better SQ and a lot more power. Basically it gives you more reserves which you will defintely hear.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
(03-Feb-2022, 22:35)paul.oorbeek Wrote: Do you have an turntable? Because the 220 has an better phono pre which in my case was a nice uograde in SQ. I went from an 140 pro ci to an 220pro ci and found it to be an good upgrade. It gives you an better SQ and a lot more power. Basically it gives you more reserves which you will defintely hear.

No, I'm strictly a digital source listener, but glad to hear your experience, thank you. What speakers are you running?
(03-Feb-2022, 23:57)qwaszxxx Wrote:
(03-Feb-2022, 22:35)paul.oorbeek Wrote: Do you have an turntable? Because the 220 has an better phono pre which in my case was a nice uograde in SQ. I went from an 140 pro ci to an 220pro ci and found it to be an good upgrade. It gives you an better SQ and a lot more power. Basically it gives you more reserves which you will defintely hear.

No, I'm strictly a digital source listener, but glad to hear your experience, thank you. What speakers are you running?

Is the room very large? do you listen at high volume?

Devialet 140 measures 205W into 4 ohms  they seem adequate .
https://www.stereophile.com/content/devi...asurements

Magico A3
Features:
Sensitivity: 88 dB
Impedance: 4 Ohm
Frequency Response: 22Hz - 50KHz
Minimum Recommended Power: 50 Watts
Clearaudio Solution Cmb - Clearaudio Syncro Power - Achromat - The Wand Plus II - AT Oc9 III - Nuc Cirrus7  Roon Rock - Cisco sg200-08 - D220 Expert Pro Ci - PMC LB1 Signature with SAM - Egglestonworks Fontaine II - 2x BK 200Xls ff Mk2 - Meicord Eth - Siltech New York - Audioquest Nrg Z3 - HAF Drc

Marietto - Italia
(04-Feb-2022, 07:51)Marietto Wrote:

Is the room very large? do you listen at high volume?

Devialet 140 measures 205W into 4 ohms  they seem adequate .
https://www.stereophile.com/content/devi...asurements

Magico A3
Features:
Sensitivity: 88 dB
Impedance: 4 Ohm
Frequency Response: 22Hz - 50KHz
Minimum Recommended Power: 50 Watts

My experience is that more power makes everything sound more relaxed, more robust. That 50W minimum is just that; the minimum. I’d start looking for a second hand 440Pro
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.

Before i run Goldenear Triton 2+ and now Vivid Audio K1.

I have listened to the A3 with all the current Devialets. I thought it sounded better with a 250 than a 440. Not much difference between 210 and 220. In the setting where I listened the 140 wasn't that great a match. But it sounded just fine with 210 and 220. I liked the 220 better though.
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
I wrote a thread on this a couple of years ago.
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
(04-Feb-2022, 18:18)frejo Wrote: I wrote a thread on this a couple of years ago.

I was able to go through and locate that thread, thanks for the callout here. Definitely an interesting conversation, and I guess not surprising someone else has wondered about the same upgrade path as I am now. 

It is interesting you felt the 250 was the more worthy upgrade... I hadn't considered a 250 at all given the prices

What is pretty clear though is that going dual mono - either to the 210 or 440 is a noticeable improvement. Now it's just a matter of making that choice. I just missed out on two well-priced 440s for sale. I could pull the trigger now on another 140 and go 210 quite easily. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks everyone.
@qwaszxxx - You can review posts which might give you some idea of the relative merits of a 210 vs 220 vs 250 vs 440, but in addition to this I think there is also a question you need to ask yourself.

I have no idea of you own mindset, and to be honest I even wonder about some of the things that go on in my own brain, let alone anyone else's, but there is something to think about here.

It looks like a move to a 210 is your easiest option. OK, lets say that you do this and it sounds great. Is it likely that you will then be happy and say to yourself I have upgraded and now all is good? Or is it more likely that there will still be niggles in your mind? Would a 220 have been better? Just how good would that 440 be? I'm happy with my 210, but I just can't help wondering if it was the right move.

Here is where the 220 option perhaps looks better as it affords the opportunity to later go for the 440. The 440 is reckoned by many to be a bit of a "sweet spot" in the range. You get almost everything that the 1000 Pro offers at half the price.

If you could be fully content with a 210, then all of the above might be a simple waste of money, but if maybe not, it is at least something to have a think about.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12