Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 Gold Phantoms vs 220pro
Is it a good idea to consider swapping 2 Gold Phantoms for 220pro + Monitor Audio Gold (for instance)? I'm sure there will be some improvements in the soundstage, etc. But would you swap if you find a used 220pro for a reasonable price?
Devialet 1000PRO CI,  Canton Reference 2.2DC, REL Carbon Special, Inakustik LS 2404 AIR, Digital, Ansuz MainzA2, 2x Gold Phantoms on Trees, Simaudio Moon 430HAD, Kennerton Thekk, Kennerton Rognir Dynamic

Hi

that is incredible difficult to answer as it depends on so many things. The best you can hope for is an answer from someone who owns both or has done a similar swap.
For passive speakers I'd definitely look at the list of SAM enabled models. If you have good sound from your Phantoms today you may find it challenging to reach a similar level of quality with passive speakers - at least on first or second try. The 220 Pro CI + speakers can certainly sound better than Phantoms, but finding a combination that works for you and your room may be tricky.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(21-Aug-2020, 22:54)ogs Wrote: Hi

that is incredible difficult to answer as it depends on so many things. The best you can hope for is an answer from someone who owns both or has done a similar swap.
For passive speakers I'd definitely look at the list of SAM enabled models. If you have good sound from your Phantoms today you may find it challenging to reach a similar level of quality with passive speakers - at least on first or second try. The 220 Pro CI + speakers can certainly sound better than Phantoms, but finding a combination that works for you and your room may be tricky.

Thanks for the detailed and comprehensive insight!
Devialet 1000PRO CI,  Canton Reference 2.2DC, REL Carbon Special, Inakustik LS 2404 AIR, Digital, Ansuz MainzA2, 2x Gold Phantoms on Trees, Simaudio Moon 430HAD, Kennerton Thekk, Kennerton Rognir Dynamic

(21-Aug-2020, 18:10)liquitech Wrote: Is it a good idea to consider swapping 2 Gold Phantoms for 220pro + Monitor Audio Gold (for instance)? I'm sure there will be some improvements in the soundstage, etc. But would you swap if you find a used 220pro for a reasonable price?

As already mentioned, the answer depends on many things, for example the taste in music and especially the budget. When it comes to spending as little as possible, gold is certainly a very thick recommendation and within this price range it is difficult to top, maybe even impossible to top.

But for me personally, the sound stage of the Phantom would not be enough. Also the finesse of the fine dynamics would be clearly too low for me. I know someone who has the gold and is 100% satisfied, but he never sits between the speakers unless he uses his beamer. He loves to listen to music over the Gold, but he is not a typical hifi enthusiast who sits between the loudspeakers, he just wants to listen to music well.  For that the Gold is certainly very very good.

For more sophisticated demands, a combination of a 220 Pro with appropriate speakers and cables would certainly be a better solution, but it would also be a much more expensive one.

The Gold costs 5780,- Euro without special hifi power cables. To a 220 Pro (7990, - euro) still loudspeakers, a source device and wiring are missing and this can cost then again over 10000, - euro.

Therefore it is difficult to compare active loudspeakers to scarcely 6000, - euro with a Hifisystem to 15000, - to 20000, - euro. The extra cost, however, will be clearly visible when the right combination is made.

Frank
(25-Aug-2020, 15:12)Schrank Wrote:
(21-Aug-2020, 18:10)liquitech Wrote: Is it a good idea to consider swapping 2 Gold Phantoms for 220pro + Monitor Audio Gold (for instance)? I'm sure there will be some improvements in the soundstage, etc. But would you swap if you find a used 220pro for a reasonable price?

As already mentioned, the answer depends on many things, for example the taste in music and especially the budget. When it comes to spending as little as possible, gold is certainly a very thick recommendation and within this price range it is difficult to top, maybe even impossible to top.

But for me personally, the sound stage of the Phantom would not be enough. Also the finesse of the fine dynamics would be clearly too low for me. I know someone who has the gold and is 100% satisfied, but he never sits between the speakers unless he uses his beamer. He loves to listen to music over the Gold, but he is not a typical hifi enthusiast who sits between the loudspeakers, he just wants to listen to music well.  For that the Gold is certainly very very good.

For more sophisticated demands, a combination of a 220 Pro with appropriate speakers and cables would certainly be a better solution, but it would also be a much more expensive one.

The Gold costs 5780,- Euro without special hifi power cables. To a 220 Pro (7990, - euro) still loudspeakers, a source device and wiring are missing and this can cost then again over 10000, - euro.

Therefore it is difficult to compare active loudspeakers to scarcely 6000, - euro with a Hifisystem to 15000, - to 20000, - euro. The extra cost, however, will be clearly visible when the right combination is made.

Frank

100% confirmation!
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana