Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 x mono 120?
Thinking about the many upgrade options:

Although two 120s cannot be linked with a link cable as is the case with two 200s, I suppose one could in theory feed them both with a source that has two digital outs, and configure each amp to feed only channel, making a sort of a D240? 

But would it be possible to control both the units with a single remote? Is each remote dedicated to a particular Expert amp, or what happens if there are several Experts operating in the same room?
You might be able to bi-wire with two stereo 120's. My best guess for the remote; You program the D to see the remote by putting the remote on the D and because the D's don't talk back, I can't see why one remote can't run two D's. BUT, and that's a BIG BUT, the remote sometimes misses connection a bit and when that happens your volume will end up out of balance. To fix that you will need to go back to the start; Re-start or change source and get back to the source again. That will re-set the volume.

And then there's the need for a source with two of the same outputs. Which one?

If you ask me; not worth the trouble. Get a 200 or upgrade to 220Pro
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Smile 
Thanks for your reply - your point about the remote sometimes missing the connection and the volume ending up out of balance makes it alone probably not worth it. Though it might be nice to experiment biamping if I had speakers that allowed going active Smile   And about double monoing - those who have upgraded from a 200 to a 400 seem to be generally quite happy about the upgrade, so perhaps there would also be something similar to be gained from going mono with the 120s. But as you say, for similar money one can also upgrade to the 220pro.

About the source outputs - I was thinking something as simple as a Squeezebox Touch using both the optical and the coax outs.
(05-Aug-2016, 11:13)ekal Wrote: Thanks for your reply - your point about the remote sometimes missing the connection and the volume ending up out of balance makes it alone probably not worth it. Though it might be nice to experiment biamping if I had speakers that allowed going active Smile   And about double monoing - those who have upgraded from a 200 to a 400 seem to be generally quite happy about the upgrade, so perhaps there would also be something similar to be gained from going mono with the 120s. But as you say, for similar money one can also upgrade to the 220pro.

About the source outputs - I was thinking something as simple as a Squeezebox Touch using both the optical and the coax outs.

This could be psycho acoustics, but I like AIR way better than Squeezebox touch with coax. More open and relaxed sound. I used to run my squeezebox touch with USB out to Chord Hugo with good results, but with Devialet, USB output does not work.
Thanks - AIR just works so poorly in my setup that I prefer whatever input I can actually get a stable sound out of Smile I imagined that Devialet would do the same buffering and reclocking for all the inputs, but perhaps that's not the case.