Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
220 Pro Volume number shown in Red color and muted
[Image: 657d9d9f52b540beb010f845455688ef.jpg]

Hi I am asking for a friend, his 220 Pro’s volume number turns red for few seconds during music playback… and when it’s red it also muted, can’t hear anything.

Anyone has any ideas?
This looks like there's severe clipping of the amp hence RED and the protection circuitry kicking in hence MUTE. But this sort of an overload should't happen at -22 dB. Better check your source signal and the entire signal chain. maybe your speaker's impedance is dropping down way too much.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(15-May-2021, 16:11)audio_engr Wrote: This looks like there's severe clipping of the amp hence RED and the protection circuitry kicking in hence MUTE. But this sort of an overload should't happen at -22 dB. Better check your source signal and the entire signal chain. maybe your speaker's impedance is dropping down way too much.

Thanks, may I ask what can make a speaker’s impedance dropping down?

He said roon is fine but when connected to MBL N31 CD player it recently started to happen.
Analog from the MBL? If the sensitivity on the line input is wrong this might indicate an overload of the ADC.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(15-May-2021, 17:40)ogs Wrote: Analog from the MBL? If the sensitivity on the line input is wrong this might indicate an overload of the ADC.

It’s Digital in. And it seems turns red when there is a strong bass in the sound.
(15-May-2021, 17:14)PeppaPig Wrote: Thanks, may I ask what can make a speaker’s impedance dropping down?

He said roon is fine but when connected to MBL N31 CD player it recently started to happen.

The N31 is a CD DAC integrated with 24/192 capability. It is also "Roon Ready". How are you connecting this unit to your Devialet ? The entire DAC capability of the N31 is duplication of Devialet's functions. 

You should connect the Unbalanced RCA Analog outputs to your Devialet OR use AES/EBU XLR digital to your Devialet. If there's any sort of level controls in the N31, they should be set to default conditions. 

The overload [ RED & MUTED ] thats occurring is bcoz of excessive signals coming from N31 to the Devialet. The N31 requires to be set at its default / factory reset conditions.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(15-May-2021, 23:54)PeppaPig Wrote: It’s Digital in. And it seems turns red when there is a strong bass in the sound.

Try Analog RCA IN. See if this gives your Devialet the same symptoms. I think it won't. 

Then, setup the digital volume of your N31 to 0 dBFS and connect using AES/EBU. If this still gives the same symptoms, try USB.
(16-May-2021, 00:03)audio_engr Wrote:
(15-May-2021, 23:54)PeppaPig Wrote: It’s Digital in. And it seems turns red when there is a strong bass in the sound.

Try Analog RCA IN. See if this gives your Devialet the same symptoms. I think it won't. 

Then, setup the digital volume of your N31 to 0 dBFS and connect using AES/EBU. If this still gives the same symptoms, try USB.

Thank you!

He is using AES, digital input. It seems happen only when bass is strong… I have never experienced this issue with any kind of player/streamer.

So I think at least we can confirm it’s not the amp issue?
the thing is he was using this setup for a while and the issue only started happening recently… no change to anything, Same playlist too.
I suggest connecting optical and coax from the N31 in addition to AES and check if the same thing happens on those inputs.
Does a reboot of the Devialet and/or N31 (cold restart, disconnect AC cable) change anything? Does the same track sound louder from the N31 than Roon?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB