Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
220 pro and KEF Blade 2
Hi Fellows,

We are pretty decide to purchase a 220 pro and Blade 2 speakers, now looking for a right CD player and speaker cables to match. Please share your experience. 

How about power cable, could I use the one come with 220 pro?
Hello Albert,

Let's start with the easy question. The Pro comes with a pretty decent power cord, usually an Audioquest NRG. Hifi cables are a source of great controversy, some say they make no difference, others use cables to great effect to fine tune and improve their system. I do not wish to start a cable debate here, but what I would say is that you will be absolutely fine using the supplied cable for now. Maybe you might want to experiment with cables later, but you would be far better off leaving this until you are fully familiar with your system, but no need to worry about this now.

It is a similar situation with speaker cables, but of course these do not come with the amp. As one of the few Blade users on this forum, I can tell you that I use Chord Epic Reference cables. Why? They look good, I had heard the Blade + Devialet demoed with these cables and thought everything sounded excellent, plus I managed to get a very good deal on them with a bit of haggling when I bought the amp and speakers. I have never felt any need to change them. So my recommendation would be to get some well made speaker cables, but not necessarily anything expensive. If you do want to try some expensive cable options, it is far better to do this when you have spent a fair bit of time getting used to your system.

CD players is a big topic! I have only used my Devialet very occasionally with a reasonably good but now quite old Musical Fidelity CD player. The thing is, the amp sounds better via Devialet AIR, so from day 1 I have mainly used the Devialet streaming via a PC. You would need a fairly good CD player to match or exceed the sound quality via AIR, so maybe you should give this a try. One point to note, you only need a CD transport (no DAC), which you can use to feed the Devialet digitally.

I have no idea what sort of budget you are looking at for a CD player, or if you also want to play SACD's, but this topic has been covered before on this forum, some links below which might give you some ideas:

https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...=transport

https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...ght=roksan
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Thanks Confused. Will start trying with your suggestion.
BTW, which web site would you recommend for hi fi music?