Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
220 pro review
(24-Sep-2017, 21:38)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(24-Sep-2017, 18:55)ekal Wrote: Interesting that the continuous power to 8 Ohms is just 72 W - I wonder what the measured specs are for 1000Pro?

It's explained in the article why:

The Devialet Expert 220 Pro amplifier
has complex output protection circuits
that pull power down after around
0.5 seconds. Within that time, tested
with 0.2 sec sine wave bursts, power
measured 144 Watts (34V) into 8 Ohms
and 290 Watts into 4 Ohms. Driven
continuously the figure fell to 72/144
Watts, due to protection, and the case
became hot. Into 6 Ohms, burst power
is 190 Watts, slightly below the 220W
figure quoted but not a consequential
shortfall.

I'm ready to bet that they made their measurements with SAM activated and what they experienced is the woofer protection of SAM for their speakers. 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(25-Sep-2017, 06:19)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(24-Sep-2017, 21:38)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(24-Sep-2017, 18:55)ekal Wrote: Interesting that the continuous power to 8 Ohms is just 72 W - I wonder what the measured specs are for 1000Pro?

It's explained in the article why:

The Devialet Expert 220 Pro amplifier
has complex output protection circuits
that pull power down after around
0.5 seconds. Within that time, tested
with 0.2 sec sine wave bursts, power
measured 144 Watts (34V) into 8 Ohms
and 290 Watts into 4 Ohms. Driven
continuously the figure fell to 72/144
Watts, due to protection, and the case
became hot. Into 6 Ohms, burst power
is 190 Watts, slightly below the 220W
figure quoted but not a consequential
shortfall.

I'm ready to bet that they made their measurements with SAM activated and what they experienced is the woofer protection of SAM for their speakers. 

Jean-Marie

I remember you said that before. I'm running my Od'A into Dynaudio C1's and of course SAM keeps the power low to protect my speakers. 900Watt would blow the woofers in my face if I cracked it up to the max without SAM. I can hear when the protection kicks in; the bass reduces. It was much more clear with SAM version 1. The nanny was a bit too cautious on SAM V1.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.