Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
440 Pro CI with Sonus Faber Olympica III volume...
I find that I need to turn up the volume to draw out the DYNAMICS from the SF Oly IIIs. But at low volumes, these don't really sing as well and sound a bit... flat. I'm not sure if anyone who has this combo or a similar Olympica model can attest to this or not. 

I just added the second 220 so I'm not sure if there's something different I need to set up/configure that I'm missing here. I believe everything's all accounted for (speaker cables for L channel to one unit, for the R channel to the other unit).
A volume control is a tone control to a degree. Our ears aren't equally sensitive at all frequencies, they are less sensitive to extreme high and low frequencies than they are to midrange frequencies and they are more insensitive to extreme high and low frequencies at low listening levels and become more sensitive to those frequencies as you turn the volume up.

If you listen at too low a level, and what "too low a level" is will depend on what level the recording engineer mastered the recording at, then the sound is going to sound flat because the bass and upper treble are going to sound rolled off to you. It's got nothing to do with the amp or the speakers, it's all to do with the way our hearing works.

Do a Google search for "Fletcher Munson curves" and you will find lots of information about hearing sensitivity at the frequency extremes.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Try turning off DPM and SAM. It might help a little, but not significantly.
It could also help some speakers with higher sensitivity, but this is harder to do...
Also, install the new firmware 13.2.0 + DOS 2.2.6; is available now.
This is fixing the bug for SAM+BASS (https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Bug-for-...-DOS-2-2-4) .
(06-Oct-2020, 04:48)David A Wrote: A volume control is a tone control to a degree. Our ears aren't equally sensitive at all frequencies, they are less sensitive to extreme high and low frequencies than they are to midrange frequencies and they are more insensitive to extreme high and low frequencies at low listening levels and become more sensitive to those frequencies as you turn the volume up.

If you listen at too low a level, and what "too low a level" is will depend on what level the recording engineer mastered the recording at, then the sound is going to sound flat because the bass and upper treble are going to sound rolled off to you. It's got nothing to do with the amp or the speakers, it's all to do with the way our hearing works.

Do a Google search for "Fletcher Munson curves" and you will find lots of information about hearing sensitivity at the frequency extremes.

You're likely correct for the most part as my hearing has declined with age for sure.
However, I've recently (ie. within the last year or so) heard systems where low volume still produces dynamics that were quite apparent. It also may have a lot to do with the room dimensions and treatments as well as my room is quite dampened to a large part with a large sectional sofa, thick rug with underpad and some QRD diffusors to address reflections.
Hi, I have the 440 pro with the Olly llls and find they sound live and dynamic even at lower volumes. I'm sure you've checked everything but may be worth double checking that sd cards are configured to the llls. I also have my speakers very close to the back wall - about 120cm, just to give you an idea. A friend of mine also has them close to the wall too and they work equally as well.
Roksan TMS3 - Vertere arm and motor drive - Dynavector XV1 - Devialet 440 pro - AQ NRG Z3 power cables - Sonictransport i5 - AQ Diamond - etherRegen - isoacoustic Oreas -  Sonus Faber Olympica 3s
(06-Oct-2020, 23:33)NickTMS Wrote: Hi, I have the 440 pro with the Olly llls and find they sound live and dynamic even at lower volumes. I'm sure you've checked everything but may be worth double checking that sd cards are configured to the llls. I also have my speakers very close to the back wall - about 120cm, just to give you an idea. A friend of mine also has them close to the wall too and they work equally as well.

Thanks Nick.

I ended up repositioning my speakers. I didn't have them toed-in as I was moving things around and experimented with positioning them pointed straight ahead with little to no toe-in. As soon as I toed them in towards the central listening positioning, slightly behind the ears, things started sounding better again in terms of dynamics. My room has an open area behind my listening position so there are absolutely no reflections coming back from any rear wall to the listening position. That may be my mistaken.
Yes, I should have mentioned toeing in the Ollys, good to hear that this has resolved your issue - they are great speakers that work well with the 440. Really interesting what you say about the open space at the back of your speakers as I have the same. Our systems and room sound very similar. Because of my room configuration I would be interested in playing with the new EQ feature but it does look a bit technical! No doubt there will be an EQ dedicated thread soon which will be useful. I would be interested in hearing your feedback if you decide to try it though.
Roksan TMS3 - Vertere arm and motor drive - Dynavector XV1 - Devialet 440 pro - AQ NRG Z3 power cables - Sonictransport i5 - AQ Diamond - etherRegen - isoacoustic Oreas -  Sonus Faber Olympica 3s
(09-Oct-2020, 08:15)NickTMS Wrote: Because of my room configuration I would be interested in playing with the new EQ feature but it does look a bit technical! No doubt there will be an EQ dedicated thread soon which will be useful. I would be interested in hearing your feedback if you decide to try it though.

I actually have a USB mic (miniDSP UMIK-1) for this purpose. I haven't yet used it at all and will try to find a rainy day to grab the REW software, measure my room nodes and try to apply the EQ settings on the Devialet to see if it helps at all.

Will have to take notes. I'm technical enough but sort of impatient so will definitely need to do this when focused and stubborn enough to get through it!