Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
440 Pro sound comparison.
Yesterday I had the chance to listen to the Luxman M-700u and C-700u pre/ power combination. The DAC in use was the Mytek Brooklyn. The particular Album I Listened to was Harry Belafonte at Carnegie Hall. The first thing that stuck me was the clapping of the audience, and how I felt I was sitting right inbetween them. The second was how the system was able to give me an idea of the scale of the venue. And finally as Mr Belafonte moved around the venue the system was able to give clues to his position, for example moving from the front of the stage to the back and side to side.

Now the kicker. I have heard the same Album on my Devialet 440 Pro and although it was good with the clapping bit and side to side movement, it could not reproduce the scale of the venue or give me a sense of depth as Mr Belafonte moved to the back of the stage. The test song is the last song is Matilda, where he is obviously moving about on the stage. This made me wonder if there  is a fault with my particular unit? Maybe after the CI upgrade the sound has degraded as I am unable to get these “subtle” cues. 

I would love to hear from anyone who has listened to the album and what they heard on the recording through the Devialet.
I've recently played that album a few too many times whilst renovating out the back. To the point that my neighbour told me to put something else on. Only a few hours ago we had a drink and her and my wife reminded me of that occasion again...

So, when I get a chance and my wife and neighbour are both away I'll play it on my main system and I'll report back. One question. Where you using the combo on your speakers in your room?

BTW, very funny bloke that Harry.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Unfortunately the setup was at a dealership. I remember when I first heard the Lux combo I wasn’t really that impressed. Maybe it’s this particular album, quite impressive how it conveyed the scale of the venue. Had no such luck with my Dev. Look forward to your impressions. Thanks
Comparing two different setups in two different locations is not possible. Room and speakers have a much bigger impact to sound quality than the amp. I wonder why you think that it is the amp that makes the difference...
I'm with @Vivialet on this one. I do get to travel around the country regularly with work and been to just about every hifi store in every capital city. Most dealers are obliging to give a demo of any system they have setup at the time, even though I advise them I'm not in the market for a new component or system. I know its been said elsewhere but I am a believer in that the room has a huge impact on sound quality. Hifi dealers design and set their demo rooms up for optimum sound quality, regardless of the system, it will sound its best, thats how they sell gear. I have listened to systems at various cost, some even much less expensive than my setup and often think, wow wish my system sounded like that or as good as that, but I know its the room which makes the difference. Most of us don't have the luxury of a dedicated room for our hifi systems. I have a perfectly suitable room downstairs which could easily be setup as a dedicated listening room. But my hifi is set up in the less than optimal for SQ upstairs family room of my home where all my family can enjoy wonderful sounding music from my system. Yeah, I could set it up downstairs and enjoy it occasionally on my own, but I am willing to sacrifice some SQ for the enjoyment of having music playing most of the time and listening with my family.
Kii Three & Kii Control. Aurender N100. VPI Prime Turntable with Benz micro Glider SL cart. RCM Sensor2 Phono stage. PS Audio P5 power regenerator.
Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
Just for some clarification the speakers where the same as mine Sonus Faber Olympica 1. The room was not heavily treated, just some Hofa diffuser panels on the front wall. I do however get the point as there are many other variables especially power filtration etc. What would be best is if people can listen to the song and give their own impressions as to what they heard on the recording. Even the laughter from the audience sounded different with the Lux.
I have even heard my own system good and bad. Same room, same speakers, same amps. Some wrong cables, wrong subwoofer adjustments, small changes to the active room correction, that all can have a big negative impact.
Take your Devialet to that dealer and ask him to replace the Luxman with it, only then you have a good comparison.
@Vivialet Better yet I will ask him to bring the Luxman over and maybe just go for a part exchange. I have to be honest over the past couple of months well actually since October there has been a lot of issues with Devialet. I fully expected that the CI board when it was announced would come with a fully baked operational software. Instead I find a unit that is barely working in my setup. USB (pops and clicks), UPnP( only plays 24/96 even that has drop-off issues, + low audio fidelity). Other inputs I have not tried as I am heavily invested in USB. Currently I am seeing ads of Devialet 440 Pro coming with lifetime Roon subscription and free Innous Zen Mini. It is a little insulting really to the loyal customers who have stuck around for years, while new comers are given great incentives. I am not really interested in being a Beta tester for their software and report back to the mothership. How about Devialet offer current users lifetime Roon subscription then I would happily do their work for them. I can't even put this stuff of Ebay without a Buyer beware warning. Really really disappointed and I was once a cheerleader for this company. Well now that is out of my system I feel better. Just my little rant.
If you don't mind me saying, it seems as though you were expecting/wanting the Devialet to sound worse than the Luxman and your bias was duly confirmed Smile

That said, I would be as disgruntled as you are if the CI upgrade had had that effect on my system.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Finally the Luxman C-700u and M-700u have been installed at home, and it has just reinforced my earlier impressions. Don't really want to start a flame war but I would really urge people to go and hear Class A or Class A/B amplification. I did not know what I was missing till I gave the Luxman a proper listen, micro and macro dynamics are amazing. Its just a wall of sound in my living room...