Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Of streamers, digital output and clock
Guys,

I have a conundrum I’d like to discuss with you.
This is my situation:
- Node 2i accessing a music library and Amazon Music 
- Digital SPDIF coax into an Expert 120

Using the coax input on my Devialet, I cannot keep the two RCA connectors free to take advantage of the preamp output board, which is installed in my machine. In the future I might consider to use it to hook a headphone amplifier (despite this is not a pressing urgency…) so entering the Devialet via a more modern input would be attractive.
Also, I’m bugged by the fact that the digital signal leaving the Node might leave a margin of improvement in terms of clock.

What cost effective options could I consider to continue to be able to stream Amazon music and free that RCA input?
- the Innuos Zen Mini Mk3 can output via Ethernet and USB, has a very well regarded software but cannot stream Amazon as far as I know 
- the new Node would keep my same ecosystem, but I read negative comments on the quality of the USB output. Also I’m a bit annoyed at Bluesound since they refused to firmware update the 2i to allow USB audio output
- iFi Stream would be very affordable but no Amazon at the Horizon 

Would a SPDIF to USB interface such as a Mutec MC 1.1 or 1.2 allow me to enter the Devialet through a USB-B to USB-B cable? Or is that output usable only with a computer?
If it worked, would the Mutec perform a reclocking of the digital signal with a positive impact? Or would that be irrelevant (or maybe even detrimental) because outputting via USB makes the clock only dependent on the DAC’s clock?
Should I just be content with what I have, since I like the performance overall?

Thanks for your comments!
The SQ of the streamer is dependent on using a good power supply and outputting the best clocked digital signal. That is what differentiates an entry streamer and the high end ones.

If you choose to keep the Node, you can do this upgrade and get a good linear power supply
https://pd-cf.com/produkt/bluesound-node...interface/

To improve the clocked digital output (and also give you lots of flexibility), consider this
https://www.denafrips.com/gaia
Thanks Snoopy.
I was aware about the LPS upgrade path for streamers like mine and I’m sure this Gaia would be a solid component.
The combination of the two components would bring me though in a territory that would not be distant from an Auralic streaming transport (which can stream Amazon and can output via USB).

Do you consider a re-clocked coaxial connection superior to an asynchronous USB?
(18-Feb-2022, 02:34)docvale Wrote: What cost effective options could I consider to continue to be able to stream Amazon music and free that RCA input?

An S-P/DIF to Toslink converter into one of the optical inputs on the 120 would be very cost-effective and would free up the coax/RCA input.

(18-Feb-2022, 02:34)docvale Wrote: Would a SPDIF to USB interface such as a Mutec MC 1.1 or 1.2 allow me to enter the Devialet through a USB-B to USB-B cable? Or is that output usable only with a computer?

I don't think this will work. The general rule with (old-style) USB is that you if you are considering using a non-standard cable, then there is a good chance that what you're connecting is not designed to work together. In particular, having a type-B socket means that the device is a USB peripheral and will only work when connected to a host (type-A). Connecting the Mutec MC 1.2 to the USB socket on your Devialet would mean two peripherals connected together, which won't do anything useful.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks.
I indeed thought about toslink (the Node has also an optical output). Never tried to use this connection, but I thought it was the least performing one…
Nothing to lose by trying it...!
Warwickshire, UK
In addition to trying the optical connection, I have this crazy idea (crazy as it most likely could not work).
I noticed that you can buy SPDIF to Ethernet and Ethernet to SPDIF pairing devices to connect very distant devices via coaxial. Would I be able to transmit a digital stream using just one end of these pair of adapters to enter the Devialet in the Ethernet input?
Sorry to be pessimistic again, but I agree with your gut feeling: that idea is not likely to work either, because the S/P-DIF over Ethernet devices will be using some application-layer protocol to package up the audio data and send it over the network, and the Devialet almost certainly won't understand that protocol. For the Devialet to be able to unpack and play the audio data, it would have to be sent using Devialet AIR, Roon RAAT, AirPlay, or something like that which the Devialet explicitly supports as a streaming protocol. I don't know for sure but it seems unlikely that a pair of the converters you mention would use any of those protocols - probably something much simpler.
Warwickshire, UK
It’s ok
My super cheap plan won’t work.

In the meanwhile, the folks at Innuos replied to my message and explained that they are working to integrate Amazon Music into their app. Obviously I don’t have a timeline, yet their app seems appealing as it is supposed to merge libraries and streaming services under the same search engine (as it is in Roon).
Also, I think that connecting an Innuos streamer to my Expert via Ethernet might represent the best connection.
So, I decided to simply stay put and be content with my (good sounding) system, waiting to possibly jump onto the Innuos bandwagon.
(18-Feb-2022, 14:15)docvale Wrote: Do you consider a re-clocked coaxial connection superior to an asynchronous USB?
Hard to say which is better!  Only way to find out for certain is to compare them side by side

A coaxial signal has the clock signal of the source, so a better source with a better clock will make a difference.  An asynch USB can also be improved by using a better input clock and the best example to illustrate this is the Innuos Phoenix and Darko's review.
https://darko.audio/2020/05/innuos-phoen...er-review/

(19-Feb-2022, 01:14)docvale Wrote: So, I decided to simply stay put and be content with my (good sounding) system, waiting to possibly jump onto the Innuos bandwagon.
And if you go that direction, then consider an audiophile Ethernet switch.