Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Quick Questions - buying Advice
Hey there,

I have been looking to build a good 2.1 computer setup, mainly for gaming (I have a separate system for music). I was looking at a bunch of powered speakers and integrated+passive speakers and then thought "why not Phantom Reactor"?

If I go that route, I would get 2 Phantoms for stereo, either the 600 or 900, doesn't really matter to me, I think that both would work. I wanted to ask a couple of questions please:

1. Do you think this is a good way to go? To use the Phantoms as desktop speakers?
2. How would I connect them to my computer? The sound card has a simple 3.5mm jack. I can buy a dedicated sound card with other outputs if needed.
3. Are these speakers reliable? Any known issues?
4. Can two phantoms work in stereo with no physical connection?
5. I mentioned that I want to build a 2.1 system, but if I can get away without a Sub, it would be great. Do these speakers generate a good amount of bass? Or would you supplement with a small Sub?

Just to clarify, I will not be using their wireless capabilities to stream, or anything else. They will be hard-wired to my gaming desktop. Really appreciate the feedback. The alternative would be a KEF LS50 Wireless II system.

Thank you in advance!
I thought about this a lot, actually. Our tastes seem similar, as I game as well.

I love them as speakers for sure. If you have a bigger desk, you’ll likely love them. If not, you might find them a bit big, a bit too powerful, and the input/outputs a bit on the limiting side. I’ll explain.

While the speakers are on the smaller side v. the full size Phantoms, they aren’t small relative to a desk. For best imaging, the front of the speaker should be a bit proud (ie. extend beyond the edge of the surface they are on).
These puppies don’t need a sub, that’s for sure. Especially the 900s - the difference is noticeable. I own both.
I’ve found them reliable as speakers, but the some software updates have been a bit odd. UPnP implementations in some software has been the biggest issue I’ve had, which won’t affect your plan.

Stereo works great in wireless, but again, hopefully others can chime in on the lag in this configuration. Using UPNP, AirPlay, or anything other than a wired connection is too laggy for games, as you’ve no doubt realized. The mini toslink is what you’ll want.

PS - matte black looks great!
(17-Oct-2020, 02:37)Charcharius Wrote: I thought about this a lot, actually.  Our tastes seem similar, as I game as well.

I love them as speakers for sure.  If you have a bigger desk, you’ll likely love them.  If not, you might find them a bit big, a bit too powerful, and the input/outputs a bit on the limiting side.  I’ll explain.

While the speakers are on the smaller side v. the full size Phantoms, they aren’t small relative to a desk.  For best imaging, the front of the speaker should be a bit proud (ie. extend beyond the edge of the surface they are on).
These puppies don’t need a sub, that’s for sure.  Especially the 900s - the difference is noticeable.  I own both.
I’ve found them reliable as speakers, but the some software updates have been a bit odd.  UPnP implementations in some software has been the biggest issue I’ve had, which won’t affect your plan.

Stereo works great in wireless, but again, hopefully others can chime in on the lag in this configuration.  Using UPNP, AirPlay, or anything other than a wired connection is too laggy for games, as you’ve no doubt realized.  The mini toslink is what you’ll want.

PS - matte black looks great!

Thank you very much for this. My desk is relatively small, I'll take measurements to see how imposing these would be.

1. What is the input on the speakers? Is it Optical? you said Mini Toslink, did you mean a 3.5mm going to Optical? In the picture, it looks round, like a Coax cable would fit in.
2. Can the speakers be physically connected by a wire to avoid dealing with the lag issues?

Thanks again!
1) the speakers support both analogue input via a 3.5mm headphone jack or optical input via a mini toslink in the same port. Optical will give better sound quality but both will work.
2) the speakers then need to sync between each other. This can be done wirelessly, via PLC or via ethernet. Ethernet is the most reliable. If you don’t use ethernet currently you can apparently just connect them with a single ethernet cable.
3) the speakers have plenty of bass capability. You could consider this a 2.2 system.
4) the latency you experience is due to the intense processing the speakers perform. You have a minimum of 60ms latency. This seems okay to me with my PS4 but is noticeable if playing something time critical like beat saber - my headphones are audibly out of sync with the speakers. It’s up to you if this is acceptable or not.
(17-Oct-2020, 09:44)booshtukka Wrote: 1) the speakers support both analogue input via a 3.5mm headphone jack or optical input via a mini toslink in the same port. Optical will give better sound quality but both will work.
2) the speakers then need to sync between each other. This can be done wirelessly, via PLC or via ethernet. Ethernet is the most reliable. If you don’t use ethernet currently you can apparently just connect them with a single ethernet cable.
3) the speakers have plenty of bass capability. You could consider this a 2.2 system.
4) the latency you experience is due to the intense processing the speakers perform. You have a minimum of 60ms latency. This seems okay to me with my PS4 but is noticeable if playing something time critical like beat saber - my headphones are audibly out of sync with the speakers. It’s up to you if this is acceptable or not.

Exactly this.
Thank you all for the replies, much appreciated.
I just want to be sure I am getting the right cable: will this work between my PC and the Reactor?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006XC54DW/ref...ljaz10cnVl

I just ordered two black Reactors + remote control, can't wait to get them!

Thank you!
If your PC has a standard optical out, yes that will work.
Photo 
(18-Oct-2020, 01:25)booshtukka Wrote: If your PC has a standard optical out, yes that will work.

My PC does not have a standard Optical out, I have an onboard sound card which looks like the attached photo. If better, I can just buy a sound card with Optical out.  SOmthing like this or similar:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-XONAR-SE-Cha...265&sr=8-4

What do you think?

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(18-Oct-2020, 04:05)killergurt Wrote:
(18-Oct-2020, 01:25)booshtukka Wrote: If your PC has a standard optical out, yes that will work.

My PC does not have a standard Optical out, I have an onboard sound card which looks like the attached photo. If better, I can just buy a sound card with Optical out.  SOmthing like this or similar:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-XONAR-SE-Cha...265&sr=8-4

What do you think?

Thanks!

cheap solution
Anny 3,5 mm jack to mono rca like this
https://www.amazon.com/JOLGOO-Stereo-Bre...ljaz10cnVl
Two rca to 3,5 mm mono jack like this
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-107146-...12&sr=8-14

Digital: Tidal,Qobuz ROON on NUC 8i3 | Analog: Pro-Ject Xtension 10 evolution, Van den Hul Colibri XGW Stradivarius MS  | Devialet 440 pro Ci (2x220) Speaker: Magico S7 M-Coat | Cable: Mit evo one | Power: PSaudio PS12, Keces P8-2, Shunyata Delta EF | Headphone: Audeze MX4, Chord Hugo2 | 2x Devialet Reactor 900 on Ipod 
Hi there, this speakers won’t disappoint, i love my 900’s
Question, with the optical to t.v is there any lag?