Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Year of Tweaking
I've learned a good bit from members of this group, so I thought I'd share what's I've learned this year.
With all that was uncertain this year, I spent a good deal of time on optimizing the gear I had, rather than upgrading significant components. This approach has really paid off, and both of my systems sound better than ever.

TLDR - Everything matters. Try optimizing before you drop a ton of money on new gear.

Starting points:

System 1 — Devialet 120 powering Radio X-1’s with a Genesis 928 sub eq’d by a dspeaker cinema box. Streaming controlled by Roon running on a 2012 Mac mini. Devialet connected to an AQ Niagara 1000 by an AQ Thunder power cord. Devialet supported by Black Diamond Racing cones and pucks.

System 2 - NAD M10 with DIRAC correction running 500hz and below, powering Silverline Minuet Supreme Plus, supplemented by a Polk Micropro 1000 sub. NAD powered by a PSAudio powerplant 300 connected by TG audio cords. Sub plugged into wall. NAD supported by Black Diamond Racing cones and pucks. Speakers sitting on wood dresser.

First, we kill all the wall warts - I’ve been meaning to do this for a while. I replaced all the cheap switching supplies in both systems (and on my Orbi wifi and the cable modem) with a combo of ifi PSU’s and an Hd Plex 400 LPS. I also put ifi DC filters on the Orbi's. Everything got quieter on both systems and resolution jumped significantly. Surprisingly,, powering a Tivo and a Firestick from the HD Plex improved the audio and video performance of both. Even powering the modem and wifi system with cleaner power was audible.

The Niagara 1000 that was powering system 1 was replaced with a Niagara 1200, and moved to system 2. The only audible change from going from the 1000 to the 1200 was slightly better bass, I assume from the sub now getting cleaner power.

Next, we experiment with isolation. Out went the Black Diamond Racing cones in both systems, and in went sets of Iso-Acoustics Orea Graphite footers. Startling improvement in both systems’ ability to create space and layers.

The single biggest improvement of the year - I had an old Brightstar Audio Big Rock sandbox in a closet - had not used it in maybe 10 years. Given the improvement the Iso-Acoustics feet made with the Devialet, I filled it with cat litter and put the Devialet, on the Orea’s, on top. This may have been the single biggest leap in performance I’ve ever heard from a tweak. The step up in soundstage width and depth, and the jump in resolution of vocals was on par with replacing an Anthem D1 with the Devialet, and replacing Revel M20’s with the Raidho’s. Just wow.

More Isolating bits - Iso-Acoustic mini pucks under the Silverline speakers, under the Mac (now updated to a 2018 Mini after the 2012 started to die), and under the external dive that has my music library. Smaller improvement that you had to listen for, but a step in the right direction for less than $100.

Bigger step - after reading all the glowing reviews, I added a set of Iso-acoustics Giaa III feet to the Raidho stands. Again, resolution jumped and the system seemed to get quieter. To hear the full benefit, I had to raise my couch the same 1 inch that the Giaa’s raised the speakers.

Other power bits - Older TG Audio cords in system 2 replaced with AQ Z-3’s, and the powerplant was replaced with the Niagara from system 1. Minimal improvement - the Iso-Acoustics stuff made a far bigger difference. 

Fringe benefit - the powerplan used a lot of electricity. Removing it lowered our electric bill $10 a month, and the Niagara sounded as good or better.

Polk sub now plugged into Niagara 1000 - no difference from being plugged into the wall. The NAD seems to like being plugged into the “regular,” low current outlet on the 1000, more than the high current outlet.

Other things - We live in a largish apt building built in the 1920’s. I replaced the power outlets driving both systems with PS Audio power ports I had lying around. No difference in system two, but things seemed to get a bit quieter still in system 1.

I use Wireworld Ethernet cords throughout my systems. Surprisingly, moving my music library from a Firewire connected SSD to a USB 3.1 connected SSD with a Wireworld red usb cable was a small, but noticeable improvement.

The Devialet 120’s support for Roon at anything higher than 16/44 had become flakey. Lot’s of dropouts. Added the Sonore MicroRendu 1.5 to handle streaming and now 24/192 plays flawlessly and sounds great. I had the first MicroRendu, and lots was made about feeding it with bespoke power supplies. I tried the UpTone, and heard zero difference.

With the new 1.5, moving from and ifi to the HD-plex for power, was an obvious improvement. Imaging, bass, noise, tone, everything got better. The new 1.5 is also almost half the price of the original MicroRendu.

I’m sure I’m forgetting something (I’ve fiddled with speaker position in system 1 few times). I hope this inventory of tweaks is helpful as others look make the most of the gear they have and enjoy music and films to their fullest.
Interesting discussion. The IsoAcoustics were equally beneficial for me, both the OREAs under my Expert Pros and the GAIA under my speakers. Clear, sonic improvements! But now you have me wondering what I should put under the OREAs under my Expert Pros. Sigh... a never ending search for musical truth.

Perhaps the biggest change/improvement for me this year was switching from a Win10 PC running RoonServer to ROCK on a NUC. No more dropouts! That was a huge win and got me out of my continuous wrestling match with Devialet. But I also believe it improved sound quality as well. Obviously, it's no easy thing to be able to compare the two and I'll not likely ever switch back to RoonServer on Win10, but I do find myself enjoying immersion in the music far more now. A huge win.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
Great writeup - what an awesome idea! Looking forward to hearing other's inputs on this. I need to read about this brightstar sandbox you talk about Smile ...
Signal path: Macbook Pro (Qobuz/ Vox Player) > Router > CAT 8 Ethernet > Devialet 220 pro > Shunyata Delta speaker cables > Wilson Sabrina speakers

Power path: Wall outlet > Shunyata Delta power cable > Devialet 220 pro
Thanks for the write up.

I also worked on vibration isolation this year and found it to make a positive difference also.

I have put my speakers on top of Townshend platforms, my source/router/clock on top of Stillpoints and the D1000 on top of iso-acoustic pods (I would gone with stillpoints had I had the space). And it clearly helps.

No more drop outs after going from an external USB SSD connected to a macmini to a NAS. I will probably never know if the cause was Apple’s USB implementation (which is know to be toublesome)/OWC/Samsung. I also upgraded Roon at the same time so that may have played a role too.

The streaming of any file over Raat is now rock steady.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1