Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A lot of hot AIR from Devialet - part 2
In just over 24 hours, over 700 people have read the thread on "hot AIR" (though admittedly there will be some multiples, including me).

I think we should use this momentum to give some data to Devialet as soon as we can, to probably counter their claim that only 2% - 5% of users experience white noise.

So in the next few days, there will be a survey (possibly two) posted, in "what the polls say", the results of which will be more powerful the more responses we get.

To the extent the survey mechanism permits, I will try to make the results anonymous - though I am not familiar with the process on Chat at this stage.

So please respond if the survey is relevant to you.

Thank you!
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
i have read your thread (part-1) completely today around 6AM and actually felt what did I end up buying. but saw few more inputs from others and kind of relaxed little bit.

The survey obviously makes sense and little bit futuristic. Although i have not experienced any white noise maybe because i have not played for long hours (not more than 2 hours in a row / i did not specifically try hi-res beyond 96kHz) and its about 4-5weeks old. However on AIR_ETH i get drops each day i play (couple of times) and AIR_WIFI did not try much.

Mode of play: iTunes/AIR_ETH/Airport Express (all wired to D and NAS)/ NAS wired to same AE (also do optic for PlugPlay for FLACs - no issues here).

And thank you for both the threads and survey is important.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
I get dropouts from JRiver/AIR (in BitPerfect) but white noise from iTunes/AIR (not BitPerfect) from the same PC with wired ethernet. Dropouts and white noise are about the same duration. Problem seems more frequent with high res music.
I think we can safely assume that the users affected by this is considerably more than 2-5% judging by the responses on here.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I got the same response from Support, that they believe they have engineers working on it, but dont know when an update will be available.

They are very prompt with their replies i will give them that. Anyway wont let this spoil the enjoyment of the Devialet. It says something that I have just bought an expensive piece of kit which has issues, and I could just easily return and get my cash back.........but I wont. Its too good to let go, just hope they resolve this as I have just switched to using JRiver until I maybe go for a streamer or Dialog later in the year.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(23-Mar-2015, 11:32)Womaz Wrote: I got the same response from Support, that they believe they have engineers working on it, but dont know when an update will be available.

They are very prompt with their replies i will give them that. Anyway wont let this spoil the enjoyment of the Devialet. It says something that I have just bought an expensive piece of kit which has issues, and I could just easily return and get my cash back.........but I wont. Its too good to let go, just hope they resolve this as I have just switched to using JRiver until I maybe go for a streamer or Dialog later in the year.

Ha ha. I'm enjoying my D200 very much, too. Will keep my fingers crossed, looking forward to a better firmware and AIR. Meantime, play more music and enjoy.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

The Polls are now posted.

Please reply to the first one if you have ever used AIR. The second one is relevant only if you have experienced "white noise".

To devise a simple poll which gives conclusive results is probably impossible, and this presented most difficulty in the definition of white noise. Having taken advice from a longstanding Devialet user who knows a lot about IT and networks, I decided to run with two polls. Not perfect but probably not too bad!
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

England
Please reply to the poll(s) if relevant and if you have not already done so. The more qualitative and quantitative data I get, the more effective is the case which can be put to Devialet. I am in correspondence with two of the partners so this is our best opportunity to get some action.

Thank you.
MacBook Pro (with Air)

England
(23-Mar-2015, 23:11)IanG-UK Wrote: Please reply to the poll(s) if relevant and if you have not already done so. The more qualitative and quantitative data I get, the more effective is the case which can be put to Devialet. I am in correspondence with two of the partners so this is our best opportunity to get some action.

Thank you.

The sample size is obviously still very small but its intersting to note that whilst the majority of PC users responding to the poll have experienced white noise the Mac users are split almost 50:50 between those that have and those that havent.

One obvious challenge in trying to pin down the source of the problem is the number of variables concerned: versions of OSX and AIR used, firmware version, music player used (+version)plus model of Mac, router, AIR buffer size, wired or wireless. Length of listening sessions, frequency of power-down may also be important. 

It would be possible to capture this info but it is probably the case that a much larger set of responses would be required before a clear pattern emerges.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Hi Phil

Yes, I just hope that the response reaches a level which can be regarded as significant. I'd like 100 or more responses which, on current trends, would suggest that around 55 to 70 of those responses would have experienced white noise.

The number of potential variations within that is huge, and beyond the scope of a survey here. The only people who could do such a survey is Devialet themselves ...

But the fact that, in addition, Devialet emailed me a couple of months ago to say that they have experienced the white noise in their own labs/offices, and that one of their staff gets it at home, should be sufficient evidence for them to give this issue the priority it deserves, in my opinion.
MacBook Pro (with Air)

England