Poll: Type of "white noise"
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I get constant density noise ONLY
22.22%
12 22.22%
I get dropouts ONLY
25.93%
14 25.93%
I get crackles ONLY
11.11%
6 11.11%
I get constant density noise AND dropouts BUT NOT crackles
16.67%
9 16.67%
I get constant density noise AND crackles BUT NOT dropouts
3.70%
2 3.70%
I get dropouts AND crackles BUT NOT constant density noise
11.11%
6 11.11%
I get constant density noise AND dropouts AND crackles
9.26%
5 9.26%
Total 54 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A lot of hot AIR from Devialet - survey 2
This is a the second survey on AIR and the incidence of white noise. Please reply to it only if you replied to the first survey AND only if you ever got or get "white noise".

The results will be fed back to Devialet on an anonymised basis.

Please regard AIR as meaning AIR ethernet and/or AIR wifi, as the context refers.

This second survey seeks to break down the categories of white noise into:

EITHER a random repeating signal of fairly constant density, which might emerge quickly or after some time ;

OR dropouts ;

OR crackling. 

I know some of these may just be network disturbances though these will generally be in the crackling or dropout categories.

Thank you.

SURVEY CHOICES (YOU CAN CHOSE JUST ONE OF THE SEVEN CHOICES)

--- --- ---

Thank you very much
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
Dropouts only. Not tested for long hours yet to see how it performs. Maybe i get white noise but for now my listening hours are 1-2 hours per day.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
You'll know the white noise when you hear it - it is truly horrible! Dropouts are definitely better.
(23-Mar-2015, 16:15)Rufus McDufus Wrote: You'll know the white noise when you hear it - it is truly horrible! Dropouts are definitely better.

I am just waiting to hear it through my headphones Smile Smile
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(23-Mar-2015, 11:29)IanG-UK Wrote: This is a the second survey on AIR and the incidence of white noise. Please reply to it only if you replied to the first survey.

The results will be fed back to Devialet on an anonymised basis.

Please regard AIR as meaning AIR ethernet and/or AIR wifi, as the context refers.

This second survey seeks to break down the categories of white noise into:

EITHER a random repeating signal of fairly constant density, which might emerge quickly or after some time ;

OR dropouts ;

OR crackling. 

I know some of these may just be network disturbances though these will generally be in the crackling or dropout categories.

Thank you.

SURVEY CHOICES (YOU CAN CHOSE JUST ONE OF THE SEVEN CHOICES)

--- --- ---

Thank you very much

I replied to your first survey (Mac and no noise) and you ask me to reply to this one also. None of the alternatives applies, though. Any feedback you give to D will then be biased.
(23-Mar-2015, 18:43)Mohmm Wrote: I replied to your first survey (Mac and no noise) and you ask me to reply to this one also. None of the alternatives applies, though. Any feedback you give to D will then be biased.

Don't worry I will combine the data to allow for the "no noise" voters. The second survey is merely to categorise the "noise" voters into the three types. I know it is irrelevant to the no noise group, it might be better to make that clear - which I have now done. Thank you.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
I have short drop outs only, quite infrequent: no more than once of twice a day for a 5 to 6 hours listening.

Everytime, I have been able to relate that to the known bug in MacOS related to "kernel[0]: IOAudioStream[0x4d83000]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (d24,39)->(d57,3b5)"

This is frustrating because the problem belongs to Apple but they ignored it for years (it is known to appear on some USB interfaces as well as firewire) and therefore, unless Apple corrects it which is unlikely, the only solution for Devialet is to work around it.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
So, white noises may be due to system buffering issue?
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

"Voted": I get constant density noise AND dropouts AND crackles
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
(24-Mar-2015, 08:09)Jean-Marie Wrote: I have short drop outs only, quite infrequent: no more than once of twice a day for a 5 to 6 hours listening.

Everytime, I have been able to relate that to the known bug in MacOS related to "kernel[0]: IOAudioStream[0x4d83000]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (d24,39)->(d57,3b5)"

This is frustrating because the problem belongs to Apple but they ignored it for years (it is known to appear on some USB interfaces as well as firewire) and therefore, unless Apple corrects it which is unlikely, the only solution for Devialet is to work around it.

That is very interesting. The errors do coincide with the dropouts do they? Googling this seems to be a fairly common problem with programs that perform sound card interaction, but it's odd that the AIR issue is also happening on Windows too. Could it be quite low level close to the sound card drivers? it implies underlying code common between Mac and PC.
I've never managed to get any kind of error log messages on Windows.