Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A warning to all!
A few years back I dug out my retired AR Legend/Rega RB300 and gave it some TLC and servicing and treated it to a new Denon DL-110. I picked up an iFi iPhono sat back and fell back in love with all of my old vinyl.  Heart
Next came the buying of new vinyl (have you seen the prices...). Uh oh, it's starting again...  Sad
Then came the eBay browsing with searches for 'Garrard', '301' and '401'. My bank balance is lighter now but I've got a 1973 Garrard 401 in a Peak HiFi AMD plinth. It doesn't get much better.   Rolleyes
Oh yes it can... I contacted a nice bloke in New Zealand called Simon; he makes 12" tonearms called 'The Wand'. So I support the New Zealand economy and buy one.
So, I'm done now, right? Nice cartridge the 110 but on a TT this good? We'll see. And as for the 401, well, it's a classic and like a lot of classic British hardware it leaks oil. Just like a 1970s Norton in fact. There's this bloke nearby that fettles Garrards...
The warning? For Devialet owners that have found that their tweaking passion has been severely curtailed then the call to vinyl is tweaker's heaven. But at a cost!
Garrard 401 in AMD plinth, 12" Wand tonearm with a Sumiko Blackbird LO; Cyrus CDxT; MacBook Pro with Audirvana Plus; Sonos ZP80; Devialet D220; Martin Logan ELS Electromotion.
Ha, ha! Had a laugh with the Classic Brit that leaks oil... It brought images of my father's E-Type, which I love, and some of its "gifts"...

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBPro 2008 > Dev 120 > KEF LS50. Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina.