Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A week until the 2-year Anniversary of Phantom Gold announcement.
Lightbulb 
A new Phantom announcement could be imminent... (this site needs a grin/eyebrow raising smiley)

Some things I would love?

A diamond tweeter
A new exotic midrange driver
Better bass drivers for greater power bass blasting handling Phantom? Why not!
New Devialet epiphanied-shaped Phantom that said modified shape/size happens to improve overall sound? Hell yes!

Yeah... Hope is everything, isn't it?
Why not??
But maybe I prefer not. Would provoke another expense on my side, although I‘m 100% happy now. Maybe would make only 95% happy with what I have now.
Why always progress? Ok, I‘m getting old(er) Smile
But, first expense for me....heeheeheeheeheeheeh.....
After the 4th bugfix that finally makes the new Phantom reliably functioning I will follow you.
I suspect the unrepairability is holding them back from really going exotic/high-end. Burning 4k (and getting value) is one thing, 10 or 15 quite another.

What I would like to see is much simpler: fixing the latency. Turnkey multichannel would be a close second. In reality, we will probably be lucky to see another colour.
Low latency and wireless is not an easy fit. A feasible solution would be a new Dialog with video out that is in sync with the audio, same as Apple is doing. Apple has a closed universe, no digital input that comes from 3rd party is streamed over Airplay latency free. In normal operation the latency is even 2 seconds, way more than the Phantoms have. So I wouldn‘t ask for fixing latency, but rather request a synchronized audio / video solution. For musicians and professional installations Devialet offers a custom low latency solution according to posts here and the offer on their website for solutions on special requests.
Why not make it so a user can switch between these modes? I need low latency for some applications and quality for others.

By even making low latency mode available surely they are saying the sound quality is still great?
The low latency mode might probably be without wireless stereo syncing through simply using the optical input and play a mono signal. So the input is not sent through the network to the Dialog and then sent back and to all other Phantoms what causes the delay. Having this feature switchable I think could be doable and could be useful for a few, e.g. musicians. But low latency wireless stereo or even multichannel reproduction necessitates adequate technology as used in professional studio audio e.g. Dante, which is costly and requires additional hardware currently not built-in into the Phantoms. Early prototypes of the expert pro new digital CI board had the Dante chips onboard, but on the released one the chips are missing. This could have been a way to sync the Phantoms with low latency multichannel, but is not ready for prime time.
In conclusion I think it is not sufficient to modify the software for low latency wireless/networked stereo as we want to have left-right time differences of less than 20us that the stereo image remains untouched in the full audio frequency range. Else the stereo image suffers due to high frequency phase jitter.
(23-Jun-2018, 00:34)streamy Wrote: After the 4th bugfix that finally makes the new Phantom reliably functioning I will follow you.

streamy, it's been nice reading your posts in the last 24-48 hours. (Haven't been reading too much, lately). Can you remind me what the 4th bug is, please? Smile

Thanks.
(23-Jun-2018, 07:00)antilles Wrote: I suspect the unrepairability is holding them back from really going exotic/high-end. Burning 4k (and getting value) is one thing, 10 or 15 quite another.

What I would like to see is much simpler: fixing the latency. Turnkey multichannel would be a close second. In reality, we will probably be lucky to see another colour.

I think there's a lot of potential with the Phantom. They've done something special, here. I think it was announced December 2014? They got 3 models out. That's pretty good. They just have to find a way to make it sound more high-end. Going with exotic materials, like diamond, etc, and getting away from the more common materials like aluminum ( an aluminum midrange; tweeter..., really?), can be one of the ways to help them get there. Who knows, maybe they realize that they have to change/modify the design/shape/size of it, and come out with a new product, to help them get there even further.

But, with what they've done/accomplished, so far, if there's one company that can do it, hey, it's Devialet. Yeah?

Maybe they'll just leave the aluminum drivers for the entry level, like they've done so far, and just keep going up from there, with new products.