Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows Server 2012 R2 + Audiophile Optimizer
Hey guys,

Some of you are already using Windows Server 2012 R2 with Phil's Audiophile Optimizer software as a basis for your music server and others may have heard of it. For those that haven't and may be interested check out http://www.highend-audiopc.com

Last week version 1.30 was released and since I bought 1.26 after august 1st I was entitled to a free upgrade.

Earlier I was disappointed to find out that the AIR software isn't compatible with Windows 2012 R2 core mode (this is the leanest mode Server 2012 can run it with the least number of running processes, drivers and services and no GUI).

Today I tried AIR in Core mode again and also tried to run Windows 8 compatibility mode. All seemed fine until I tried to play a song, then AIR crashed. But while configuring MC20 I also noticed the ASIO output for the Devialet USB input being available and this one does work in Core mode! Smile

Now, just when I thought I finished my music server setup this opens new possibilities a lot of people on the Computer Audiophile Forum and JPlay forum rave about like installing a separately powered SoTM, PPA Audio or JCAT audiophile USB interface card... Tongue

Did anyone already find out USB works and compare it to AIR? If not, and if possible please do and share your experiences. Smile I will also compare this solution to the battery powered Cubox USB solution written about somewhere else on this forum. It's too bad that quick A/B/A'ing ASIO USB and AIR ethernet is impossible and you'd have to switch back to minimal server mode again, rerun AO but I will try to do it from memory and/or switch back sometime later. Also I'm comparing a Audioquest Carbon USB cable with a Audioquest Diamond ethernet one so this makes it a bit less conclusive as well.

Best regards,

Antoine.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Found that 'kernel streaming' in core mode works as well. This is the advised output type interface by Audiophil. Smile

Also found a way to tweak the Devialet USB driver. See: http://devialetchat.com/Thread-Antoine-s...05#pid4405

Forgot to say; USB is superior to AIR in my system. See also: http://devialetchat.com/Thread-Antoine-s...04#pid4404
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Hello Antoine

I just use a standard win 8.1 installation, on this I run foobar.

I have been using Air for 3 months, but as stated in a different thread I have tried Jplay, I got some stability issues with Jplay and Air--hence I have switched to USB. I have just revived a new USB cable (Transparent Premium USB Cable), and I am happy to report that it sounds fantastic--however I must admit that the Jplay SW did more that the switch in USB cable did. The software is in my opinion well worth the 99€ asking price.

I don't know if Jplay will work on the 2012 windows server, but if it will you should give it a go, one of the benefits in using USB with Jplay is that you have all options available in jplay, some of them will not work if you use Air.

Another benefit is that the system is faster--when you press pause it does it at once, there are no buffers etc....

Kind regards Morten
Devialet 200, Graditech Voima 1 Power cable, MIT shotgun S1.3 Speaker cable, Neeper Acoustics Perfect One Speakers
Aurender N100H, MIT Shotgun AC1 Power Cable, Audioquest Forest RJ45, Transparent Premium USB Cable

Denmark
Hi Morten, good to read you're happy with JPlay! I had been looking at it as well and now that I've made a complete switch to Devialet's USB input, and after trying it, I've decided to buy the software as well. Currently I'm waiting for the personalized download link. Smile Later I will probably order their JCAT USB interface card as well as it seems to be the best available and it offers to enable disable power filtering per port and/or completely disable the power supply to a port as well.

Yes, JPlay works on Windows 2012 R2 and also if you've optimized that with Audiophil's Audiophile Optimizer (AO) software. A lot of people use the combination of 2012 R2/AO and JPlay, they seem to complement each other. You could check it out as well, I don't think you will be disappointed and trial versions are available for both Server 2012 R2 as AO. Smile

The Netherlands
High praise from an analog man pur sang. Smile

http://supratekaudio.blogspot.com/2014/0...sound.html

The Netherlands
(02-Nov-2014, 11:07)Antoine Wrote: High praise from an analog man pur sang. Smile

http://supratekaudio.blogspot.com/2014/0...sound.html

Thanks for posting this Antoine - a very interesting read
Old thread (personally still a happy user of W2012R2+AO) and just updating it for this; a review by the founder of computeraudiophile.com.

One quote from it: "This week I heard the best digital playback I’ve ever heard. Period."

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/conten...aises-bar/

The Netherlands