Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIR drop-outs - Mac OS X
I've been testing AIR in the last day and I saw a very similar thing on both MacBook AIR and a Windows 7 PC both running AIR 2.1.2. The Devialet is hardwired. With the MacBook I was streaming from it over wifi using Audivarna or VLC. It's a wireless N connection and usually on 5GHz and I'm about 3 metres from the access point which is a triple-antenna jobbie. . In the case of the PC is was testing jRiver with jRemote so any dependency on wifi was minimal. The AIR driver just seems to crap out (and be greyed out). It seems to happen more often when I'm performing some action such as changing volume, but I could be mistaken. I'll look in the Windows logs to see if anything obvious shows up. Like you, it's hit or miss reenabling AIR. Sometimes it starts immediately, other times it takes many attempts.
Thanks - it's reassuring to know I'm not alone, I think. Needless to say if I hear anything from Devialet about their progress investigating/resolving this problem, I'll post here.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(10-Aug-2014, 18:08)Eddye Wrote: Does the problem occur when your macbook is connected wireless or wired to your network? Or does it occur either way?

I've finally tried this experiment, and tentatively concluded that there are no drop-outs if the MacBook Pro has a wired connection to my router. Hmm.
Warwickshire, UK
AIR seems to be working completely reliably with a wired connection between my MacBook Pro and my router. It has run for over 32 hours without dropping out.

I then tried disconnecting the Ethernet cable and reconnecting it. Surprisingly, AIR seems to tolerate up to about five (5!) seconds of disconnection before it considers the link to the Devialet broken (at which point the icon greys out). With breaks shorter than this, it just takes it in its stride and continues when the connection is re-made. With longer breaks, it has to be manually connected again. All this is as you'd want it to be.

The fact that AIR seems to be very tolerant of breaks in connectivity on the wired interface makes me wonder what can be happening when the wireless connection is used. There certainly isn't anything like a 5-second loss of wireless connectivity when the drop-out occurs. Very strange.
Warwickshire, UK
Does it take a similar time for AIR to grey out when you're wirelessly connected and disable wifi? I'm guessing it does and it's probably a silly question.
Oh, that's a very good question: yes, disabling/re-enabling the wireless interface while AIR is running has the same effect as disconnecting/reconnecting the wired interface, with about five seconds tolerance before it drops the session. After re-enabling the wireless, it reliably re-connects again. So both parts of that behaviour are different from the "unexpected" drop-outs.
Warwickshire, UK
Does it take the same amount of time to grey put or reconnect if music is playing as opposed to idle?
Yup, seems to.
Warwickshire, UK
Just in case it's a quirk of the MBP wireless interface or its driver, I'm going to try a USB wi-fi dongle…should arrive in a couple of days.
Warwickshire, UK
Ah - interesting - I've now installed an Edimax EW-7811UN 150 Mbps 802.11b/g/n USB adapter, costing about £7.50. With the MacBook Pro's internal AirPort wi-fi adapter disabled, I can run AIR over the USB wi-fi adapter (in my configuration this is just the link between the MBP and router; the Devialet has a wired connection). This has run without drop-outs for over 11 hours and counting. By contrast, I've never seen more than about three hours with the internal adapter.

So it looks as though my drop-out problem is specific to the MBP's internal AirPort adapter.

Anyway, it's nice to have a usable work-around.
Warwickshire, UK