Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIR1 v AIR2 v Spark
(07-Sep-2015, 19:51)ThierryNK Wrote: Can someone explain, as precisely as possible, with all parameters, when "white noise" happens?
I read some posts about it on french forums, but I did not really understand what was happening.

I can also say that with a good drive on Devialet AES input, some friends are vey happy (3DLab Nano Transport, Bel Canto Refstream or Totaldac d1-server). And they get good ergonomics with Jriver and Jremote or EOS application, or Minimserver + bubbleupnpserver with Lumin or Bubbleupnp applications.

I rencently tested the new Etalon Streamer (550€), only USB output, UPNP/LM/Airplay inputs, with is really very good. It can be improved by Swenson' Regen.
No tested on Devialet, but on high end and entry level DACs.

My feeling is that people happy with Devialet sound but who have inputs issues, should try to get around the issues, instead of waiting upgrades.
Ok, it is more money to spend. The ultimate decision could be to get a full refund.
If Devialet has more returned products, maybe they will put more money on technologies and less in airplanes tickets to invite stars and chief editors to meet the Phantom.

Ok, I am a bit rude. I just try to be sincere about my own thinking.

Kind regards

Thierry

As I've bored people here already with my endless white noise experiments I will send you an email telling you all about it!

Ian
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
I would say that for many user that use, but have problems with, AIR, more and more the main issues appear to be crackling, stuttering, and similar, rather than the traditional issue of working fine then switching to white noise.
I received a first mail of explanations from Ian.
I just asked him more questions about his network configuration.

As I explained before, without knowing the "white noise issue" details:

If a port scan could make the Devialet interface crash, then any Wifi traffic could make the interface crash.

But it is not specific to Wifi, you can replace Wifi traffic, by Network Traffic.

Does the issue also happens with USB?
S1:  Totaldac d1-server, Trinnov ST2-H, Ayon S5, Orpheus Lab 3M, Klinger Favre D56
S2: Trinnov Amethyst,  Ayon Odin III, TAD Evolution One
Thierry,

I have not seen a report of white noise with USB.

AIR wi-fi works perfectly for me - no drop-outs and no white noise but I use OSX 10.6.8. 

On Macs the problem only appeared with later versions of OSX.  And some people who use later versions do not have the problem.  White noise also occurs on PCs running Windows.

Regards,

Philip
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
I'm not aware of anyone having issues with USB.
That's an intriguing idea that it could be non-audio network traffic hitting the Devialet's network interfaces and causing trouble. It would have to be fundamentally broken though for that to happen. I have seen computers affected badly by portscans (for instance), or flooded with traffic (e.g multicast) but a long time ago (i.e 80s, 90s, early 2000s when network interfaces/kernels weren't so robust).

Devialet themselves recently suggested they thought the problem was due to timers on the OS and bugs/inadequacies of the ones they'd been using (or are available for use). I found this idea a little odd myself. They're not the only company streaming audio and I doubt they're doing much that's radically different.  There does seem to me to be a problem possibly with interrupts, for instance screen power off/power saving on Windows.
At first look, with no issue on USB, we have to concentrate on Network configuration, hardware and software. These are the questions I asked Ian about.

After some digging, I remembered that some french guy had solved this kind of issue with an "optical bridge" (Galvanic optical isolation of network).

http://www.forum-audiophile.fr/amplis/de...ml#p748530

I have been using this stuff for several months. It improves the noise level in Network Audio products. it can be imagined, that "bad things" arriving to Devialet (as my port scan) can make it "electrically unstable",during my first tests, it was just crashing.

At the moment, I am just working on various hypothesis. Just thinking. So please do not take my last hypothesis as a diagnostic!  Idea Cool
S1:  Totaldac d1-server, Trinnov ST2-H, Ayon S5, Orpheus Lab 3M, Klinger Favre D56
I might try stressing the NIC by e.g running a portscan while playing music. I'll give it a go tomorrow.
(07-Sep-2015, 21:16)Confused Wrote: I would say that for many user that use, but have problems with, AIR, more and more the main issues appear to be crackling, stuttering, and similar, rather than the traditional issue of working fine then switching to white noise.

You are right Brian: When we did our survey, admittedly with a small sample size, 27 had white noise (alone or with other stuff) and 35 had crackles/dropouts (alone or with other stuff).

White noise only was 12 people. Dropouts or crackles or both (not white noise) was 20 people.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
On the other hand, people without problems do not go on the internet to find solutions and participate to surveys….

But 20 issues out of 27 is HUGE...
Save your time, if anyone can resolve the issue(s) it's Devialet and Devialet only. I'm not the pessimist here, just being realistic.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands