Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AXD?
I see the Devialet webpage now advertises AXD Active Crossover for Expert Pro.
Is this new ? I haven't seen it before- sounds exciting ! Is it part of the new upgrade ?
"AXD - ACTIVE X-OVER DESIGN

Expert Pro’s powerful DSP makes AXD the only technology advanced enough to reap the full potential of the world’s most sophisticated speaker models. Designed to keep the path from source to speaker to a absolute minimum, AXD demands bespoke speaker profiling in close collaboration with speaker manufacturers. Their seal of approval guarantees immaculate playback, every step of the way."
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
This is nothing new, it has been available almost since the very beginning of the Expert, when only the D-premier was existing.

It is the capability to do multi amplification and to choose for each amp the filtering of the speakers in terms of filter type (low, high passing), the frequencies and the order of that filtering.

Note that beyond two ways you need to contact Devialet for them to create a custom configuration file for you since the configurator does not allow you to filter the speakers with a band passing filters, but Devialet has always provided this option as a service.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(30-Oct-2020, 08:11)Jean-Marie Wrote: This is nothing new, it has been available almost since the very beginning of the Expert, when only the D-premier was existing.

It is the capability to do multi amplification and to choose for each amp the filtering of the speakers in terms of filter type (low, high passing), the frequencies and the order of that filtering.

Note that beyond two ways you need to contact Devialet for them to create a custom configuration file for you since the configurator does not allow you to filter the speakers with a band passing filters, but Devialet has always provided this option as a service.

Jean-Marie

Oh, I see- thanks so much for your kind note. I am embarrassed that I've never noticed it before!
All the best- thanks again.
I looked at the webpage because I just sent my Expert in for the Update, and saw that the price had gone up, and then I got excited that I was getting something really new.... Smile
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
For the record: I have been using Devialet's AXD successfully in two different systems for several months, thanks to the kind and expert help of Mathieu Pernot.

System 1: a pair of D200's driving a pair of Naim SL2 speakers, one amp for each speaker. In this two-way case, the config can be done by the user using the low-pass and high-pass filters available in the online configurator. However, setting the right cut-off point for each filter is critical. Mathieu calculated the values for me, based on the specs available for the Naim active crossover product (SNAXO 242).

System 2: a trio of D220 PROs driving a pair of Naim DBL speakers: one amp for the left and right bass, one amp for the left mid and tweeter, and one amp for the right mid and tweeter. The online configurator cannot deal with 3-way active amplification, and Mathieu graciouly provided me with custom-made config files. Here again, Mathieu used the available data on Naim's own active filter (SNAXO 362) to calculate the cutoff pints and slopes. One great thing about this setup is that in this case the AXD config is described in separate config files (dsp.txt), which means that I remain able to modify other aspects of my setup (e.g. input assignment) using the standard online configurator. 

Now for the real important question: the sound quality. In a word: SPECTACULAR. Especially with the 3-way DBL's which now sound at the same time so delicate and so powerful, unrestricted. The veil created by the passive crossover is gone, and the musicality is improved in all respects. There is no turning back to passive Xovers now.