Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding Innuos Zenith to Phantoms setup
Just thought I would share my recent upgrade.
Pair Gold Phantoms and Dialog all still on DOS1.
I had a Unitiserve HDD plus longdog audio linear power supply.
The Unitiserve was connected to Dialog with Toslink but because of the dropouts bug issue I changed to purely Upnp.

I have been thinking about changing to the Zenith and finally did the upgrade on Friday. CD collection migrated from Unitiserve to Zenith was a simple process.
The Zenith has an Ethernet out for attaching to a streamer so I have used this to connect to the Dialog rather than running a long cable from the switch to Dialog. I was a little worried that I would have problems but it has all worked seamlessly.
I use MConnect for Upnp control and again, all is fine.
I could never get to backup from the Unitiserve but attaching an external USB drive and running a full backup via the Innuos url was a breeze.
I have to say I am very impressed so far. The Zenith performs flawlessly. The sound was a little restrained to start but has now opened out. Without trying to go overboard describing the sound I just really enjoy it a lot more than when using the Unitiserve. My reason for adding this article is to help anyone wondering if/how the Innuos servers will work with Devialet. I hope it is useful. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for this. I too use Innuos. Zen mini which I find works great with my classic phantoms. I connect all three to the router via Ethernet cables and use ipeng as my controller. I like ipeng and the whole family seem happy using it. Apparently innuos are developing their own controller app due soon.

(14-Dec-2020, 18:50)steve_denney Wrote: My reason for adding this article is to help anyone wondering if/how the Innuos servers will work with Devialet. I hope it is useful.
Thank you.  Good to know that Innuos supports UPnP well.  I have always favoured UPnP over AirPlay and optical in, finding that it produced the best sound quality.

(14-Dec-2020, 20:38)tsmithpam Wrote: Zen mini which I find works great with my classic phantoms. I connect all three to the router via Ethernet cables and use ipeng as my controller. 
I understand that iPeng works only with Logitech Media Server (LMS).  I am surprised that Innuos uses LMS. Is the connection to the Phantoms using UPnP or Airplay protocols?
(15-Dec-2020, 06:10)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(14-Dec-2020, 20:38)tsmithpam Wrote: Zen mini which I find works great with my classic phantoms. I connect all three to the router via Ethernet cables and use ipeng as my controller. 
I understand that iPeng works only with Logitech Media Server (LMS).  I am surprised that Innuos uses LMS. Is the connection to the Phantoms using UPnP or Airplay protocols?

Answering my own question (and shows how little I know of Innuos!).

Innous does support LMS, hence iPeng is one of the Apps that can be used.  It is likely they have implemented the LMS UPnP/DLNA Bridge plugin which will see the Phantom as a UPnP player.
Yes it seems that currently until Innuos release their own App in the next few weeks, ipeng is their suggested App for IOS devices.
I was already using MConnect so have decided to continue with this for now.
The Artist/album display is not brilliant from the App but it does the job. Hopefully the Innuos App will show more detail.
I must say I am very impressed so far with the sound. It is now my preferred source whereas I always went to Qobuz before rather than an album stored on the Unitiserve.
I also want to give Titan Audio mains cables a plug. Not wanting to open the debate whether cables make a difference but I needed longer mains for the phantoms and Innuos and Titan offer some well made cables at sensible prices. Almost local too being made in N. Ireland.

Yes, you’re right. It works well for me and the family build playlists etc. I hardly ever stream to qobuz or tidal but have also used it this way. I will definitely try the innuos app when it’s ready as they are a very supportive company and help on tech matters for me is important!