Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding a second router
I have been given an extra router from Sky as i think that i may benefit from having a router solely used for my hifi.
I seem to recall that this could be beneficial as it would reduce traffic through the dedicated router. Trouble is as you all know I am not the most technically gifted person Confused

If its the same network i am presuming my control apps will still work?

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Like a guide or something I can look at, any help as always appreciated.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
To truelly isolate it you would want another subnet and manually set your routing table to get the 2 networks to pass data back and forth.

I really don't see a benefit. If the switch in your existing router is doing it's job the packets only go where they are suppose to go anyway. How busy the switch in your current router is isn't going to affect audio quality just reliability. Are you having reliability issues?
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(19-Feb-2016, 14:33)Dr Tone Wrote: To truelly isolate it you would want another subnet and manually set your routing table to get the 2 networks to pass data back and forth.

I really don't see a benefit.  If the switch in your existing router is doing it's job the packets only go where they are suppose to go anyway.  How busy the switch in your current router is isn't going to affect audio quality just reliability. Are you having reliability issues?

The honest answer is I am not sure if I am having reliability issues. My broadband is fast and reliable but I had problems with AIR., I now have problems with certain apps controlling my Melco. Throughout all of this there have been suggestions that maybe my wifi signal was not very good as the routers supplied by Sky etc are not very good.
There was also a suggestion at some stage that to add a second router to use purely for my Hifi may help. I have now been sent a new router but it has new passwords and new Network number so I am not sure if this would help at all.
I have looked various stuff up on the internet but I am none the wiser.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Can you turn off the wifi completely on the Sky router and just bring up a different access point with better wifi? I'd try that first. In fact if you can get the sky router in bridge mode (modem only) and use your own router instead is the best solution, vendor don't usually hand out the best stuff.

2 Routers introduce double NAT and can cause more issues than they solve unless done properly by disabling the right services on each.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2