Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air v Airplay
Hopefully I am posting this in the right place this time! I normally use Tidal via Roon and Air on my MacBook Air and very pleasant it is too. Yesterday, out of pure laziness, I launched Tidal on my iPhone and played my music via Airplay. To get any where the volume, never mind the quality, I normally use on Roon I had the volume at -5 as opposed to the normal -20. Can someone please explain this to myself?
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.
Is there a volume control in the Tidal app on the iPhone? I stream Tidal from Roon on my Antipodes server and I have my Roon preferences set to fixed volume output so the only volume control working is the Devialet's own volume control. If you have a volume control active in the iPhone Roon app you're probably sending the Devialet a signal that has already been reduced in volume below what Roon sends to the amp so that means you have to increase volume on the amp in order to get the same playback level.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Ah, I was not using Roon on the iPhone, just Tidal via Airplay with the Airplay volume set at maximum and Volume Limit is Off. . The volume can be jacked up via the Devialet controller but the point is that on the Devialet app on the iPhone the volume is sitting at -5 to achieve what is at -20 through Roon.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

I didn't say you were using Roon on the iPhone.

The volume you're playing at on the Devialet depends on the the signal it receives. If you have to use a higher volume with the iPhone/Tidal/Airplay than you do when using Roon/Tidal/Air from your MacBook Air, then the iPhone setup is sending a lower volume signal and you're needing to increase Devialet volume to compensate.

You are proabably applying a volume control in the Tidal app on your iPhone that reducing the volume before the signal reaches your amp and that kind of volume control is not being applied in Roon on the MacBook.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Thanks for that. There is no volume control applicable in Tidal on the iPhone other than through Airplay itself. I am assuming that the difference I am hearing is at least partly due to Roon using Air and the iPhone using Airplay but no technological reason for saying this.