Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AirPlay Crackle
(22-Feb-2017, 18:03)Chris Wrote: I have two Gold Phantoms and an AirPlay compatible Dialog.

I started noticing some crackling at high frequencies when playing some tracks using AirPlay, so decided to investigate further with some test tones: The problem was then very obvious! If you have a Phantom and/or Dialog with AirPlay compatibility, could you try playing this track from iTunes/Apple Music using AirPlay? Flat Low Distortion Sweep from 2 - 20 KHz

I get distortion from both Phantoms if I use AirPlay to the Dialog, but also on one Phantom if I AirPlay directly to it. 

Playing the same test tracks using Tidal in Spark, or to other makes of AirPlay speaker, does not produce any distortion, so it would seem that the issue is only with AirPlay on the Phantom and Dialog.

Devialet Support seem to be going round in circles and I can't get them to tell me whether they can reproduce the problem or not.

The distortion/crackle has been mentioned in the Spark vs AirPlay poll, with a couple of others reporting similar issues to me, but I thought it was worthy of its own thread, especially if all AirPlay Phantoms/Dialogs are affected!

100% the same problem.  Purchased a Gold, set up Spark and Deezer, and spark produces no signal crackle, any other device produces crackle.  ran frequency sweeps to confirm
Huge problem!
Anyone got news about the announced Spark 2.0 update which is supposed to resolve the problem?
I am also bothered by the crackling when using Airplay.
(09-May-2018, 22:38)Bbnsound Wrote: Anyone got news about the announced Spark 2.0 update which is supposed to resolve the problem?
I am also bothered by the crackling when using Airplay.

I was wondering the same!
I am AirPlaying directly to the Phantom over an isolated 1Gb Ethernet connection with iTunes and not experiencing cracking. By isolated I mean the Ethernet connection is only for a Phantom. Wired into my PC and AirPlaying directly. No other devices are able to access that Ethernet connection so it’s isolated on its own exclusively for AirPlay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
Since it is possible to play music in Spark without any distortions, there should be a way to make this happen for Airplay also.
One reason I bought a pair of Phantoms over an conventional hifi setting, is its simplicity to set up and operate. So, I don't want to use an isolated ethernet connection to play music on my Phantoms without crackling.

You use the White Phantoms, right? I didn't go through all the postings here, but it seems manly Gold Phantom users are affected.
Quentin Sannié told me on Twitter there will be a new Phantom OS and App in early 2019
(10-May-2018, 09:14)Bbnsound Wrote: Since it is possible to play music in Spark without any distortions, there should be a way to make this happen for Airplay also.
One reason I bought a pair of Phantoms over an conventional hifi setting, is its simplicity to set up and operate. So, I don't want to use an isolated ethernet connection to play music on my Phantoms without crackling.

You use the White Phantoms, right? I didn't go through all the postings here, but it seems manly Gold Phantom users are affected.

The crackling effects all Phantom equally. I’ve had it on my White Phantom and it was really bad. I just found a way, maybe temporarily to prevent it.

The AirPlay hardware in Phantom isn’t as optimised as it needs to be. Fixable through software of course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)