Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AirPlay Streaming - AirPort Express vs AirDac or Myro:Air
Hello,

I would like to ask if anyone has experience: is Apple AirPort Express any good for streaming through AirPlay directly connected to my Devialet 200 (via Optical cable)  or would you rather recommend getting something like Arcam AirDac or Myro:Air.

Please, don't recommend any chunky solutions like a cheaper Home Cinema Receiver with AirPlay already in it.

Thanks!
Hello and welcome, Georgi.

I am not using airplay now, but I did for quite a while. I set up an Airport Express adjacent to my router and D120. I connected the ApExp to the router with ethernet, and to the D120 using an optical cable into an optical input on the D120. My iMac is connected wirelessly to the router. Set up your computer/ mac sound to output to the ApExp and controll it with the Remote app.

I worked very well and gives you access to your iTunes library as well as the internet radio stations and playlists in iTunes.

The sound quality is up to CD sample rates (or whatever) which is fine for me, but below the standard demanded by many others. Even if you use another source for higher resolution files, the ApExp, is a very good way to connect and listen.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(18-May-2016, 16:47)Damon Wrote: Hello and welcome, Georgi.

I am not using airplay now, but I did for quite a while. I set up an Airport Express adjacent to my router and D120. I connected the ApExp to the router with ethernet, and to the D120 using an optical cable into an optical input on the D120. My iMac is connected wirelessly to the router. Set up your computer/ mac sound to output to the ApExp and controll it with the Remote app.

I worked very well and gives you access to your iTunes library as well as the internet radio stations and playlists in iTunes.

The sound quality is up to CD sample rates (or whatever) which is fine for me, but below the standard demanded by many others. Even if you use another source for higher resolution files, the ApExp, is a very good way to connect and listen.

Thank you Damon for sharing your experience!
I was also kind of hoping that someone could share his/her experience with both worlds - Airport Express vs AirDac (Myro). Namely, I wondered how well Deviale's DAC is coping with the considerable jitter that Airport Express has in his optica output (which you actually kind of answered Smile ).