Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Airplay 2 timing question
My Phantoms do not have Airplay, but I had understood that devialet was going to add support for Airplay 2 in DOS 2 across all the Phantom range. 
Is that correct?  Do we know when DOS 2 will provide Airplay 2 capabilities? 
(23-Nov-2019, 14:47)pabfou Wrote: My Phantoms do not have Airplay, but I had understood that devialet was going to add support for Airplay 2 in DOS 2 across all the Phantom range. 

No, although I have seen several forum members state that they believe this will be Devialet's top priority once they have stabilised DOS 2 and resolved the current balance and sync problems.  Whether they have heard this from sources at Devialet (official or unofficial) or whether it is just speculation based on AirPlay 2's market significance is unclear.  Devialet rarely comment on future release dates and when they do they are usually wrong anyway!
(23-Nov-2019, 14:47)pabfou Wrote: My Phantoms do not have Airplay, but I had understood that devialet was going to add support for Airplay 2 in DOS 2 across all the Phantom range.

Sadly, no. With specific hardware and software needed to support AirPlay 2, older AirPlay products won't be able to automatically upgrade to AirPlay 2.

Above extracted from What HiFi article
Devialet support told me a few days ago by email that AirPlay 2 was to be expected during 2020 but they could not be more specific.
If you don't have AirPlay you won't be able to get AirPlay 2. You could buy an used Dialog with AirPlay and hopefully get AirPlay 2 in the future.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(24-Nov-2019, 09:33)ragwo Wrote:
If you don't have AirPlay you won't be able to get AirPlay 2. You could buy an used Dialog with AirPlay and hopefully get AirPlay 2 in the future.

Or you get a Dialog with AirPlay capability. Which hopefully also will get AirPlay 2.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
(24-Nov-2019, 15:37)seb Wrote:
(24-Nov-2019, 09:33)ragwo Wrote:

Or you get a Dialog with AirPlay capability. Which hopefully also will get AirPlay 2.
Didn't I write just that?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(24-Nov-2019, 17:35)ragwo Wrote:
(24-Nov-2019, 15:37)seb Wrote:
(24-Nov-2019, 09:33)ragwo Wrote: If you don't have AirPlay you won't be able to get AirPlay 2. You could buy an used Dialog with AirPlay and hopefully get AirPlay 2 in the future.

Didn't I write just that?
Absolutely. Sorry, I got somehow mixed-up in my queue. Was not intentional.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
(23-Nov-2019, 19:55)Austinforest Wrote: Devialet support told me a few days ago by email that AirPlay 2 was to be expected during 2020 but they could not be more specific.

According to the Apple Website (screenshot taken just now) it already is.  This is clearly incorrect, as Phantom has never been AirPlay 2 compliant, either under DOS 1 or DOS 2.  It does however point to some kind of commitment to Apple on Devialet's part.  With all the processing power in the Phantom I see no obvious technical reason why they shouldn't be able to retrofit to existing units, although there may be a security or commercial consideration which Apple have chosen to require implementing in hardware that I am not aware of.

The official line: https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...nd-Phantom-

This does not explicitly state that the support will be retrospective to some or all existing units, however the statement "We will communicate to all our users when Airplay 2 is supported on Phantom. " could be taken to imply that this news will be relevant to "all our users" so let's go with the optimistic interpretation!