Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D premier firmware upgrade. HELP!
Hi everybody,
I bought a second hand D premier to dual mono with my former one.
Arrived safely, I registered it on the devialet site, but when I tried to upgrade the SW to the last version (still on board the 5.x.x), I received a message on the screen that something "illegal" was going on and to contact the devialet support. Tried also with older firmware versions, same result.
I don't know if I did something wrong erasing the old files on the sd card and copying the new on it.
Any suggestions before contacting the support?
Thank you for your help.
Hello @gianventu, and welcome.

Please could you copy the exact error message into this thread? That might give some hints as to what's going on.

What version of firmware are you running on your older D-Premier, and what version of firmware are you installing on the new one? Are you also updating the older one?

You might also want to take a look at Pim's guide to updating firmware, as there are some things that might catch you out if you're not familiar with the process. Will add a link shortly.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
You cannot upgrade a D-Premier to the latest firmware. You need the pro hardware for that.
(14-Mar-2023, 20:53)thumb5 Wrote: Hello @gianventu, and welcome.

Please could you copy the exact error message into this thread?  That might give some hints as to what's going on.

What version of firmware are you running on your older D-Premier, and what version of firmware are you installing on the new one?  Are you also updating the older one?

You might also want to take a look at Pim's guide to updating firmware, as there are some things that might catch you out if you're not familiar with the process.  Will add a link shortly.
Thank for your reply.
The full message is "illegal configuration" contact support.
I was trying to install the last available firmware version for d premier (10.1.0)
I also tried with older versions of firmware I found in a link in this forum.
Tried also to use a new SD card.
The actual version on the d premier firmware is the 5.5.0 
HW 4.1.1
On my older d premier I am running the 10.1.0 and has been updated years ago.
(14-Mar-2023, 20:56)Vivialet Wrote: You cannot upgrade a D-Premier to the latest firmware. You need the pro hardware for that.

I am trying to upgrade to the latest version available for D premier.
Ok, then it could be an issue with the sd card. Have you tried to format and copy thebfiles again ?
You can also try a different card.
(14-Mar-2023, 21:23)Vivialet Wrote: Ok, then it could be an issue with the sd card. Have you tried to format and copy thebfiles again ?
You can also try a different card.

Already done with a new one. Even if I take out the one inside my old d premier and insert in the new one,  I keep receiving the same message.
If I take out the "dp_cfg.txt" file, I receive the message "no configuration file": that means the sd cards are red properly' I guess.
(14-Mar-2023, 21:13)gianventu Wrote: The full message is "illegal configuration" contact support.
Does that message come up during the firmware upgrade procedure? On the face of it, it looks like a problem with the configuration file (dp_cfg.txt) rather than the firmware.

(14-Mar-2023, 21:13)gianventu Wrote: I was trying to install the last available firmware version for d premier (10.1.0)

I wondered whether you might have to upgrade in steps from 5.5.0 to 10.1.0 since it's quite a big jump otherwise.

(14-Mar-2023, 21:13)gianventu Wrote: Tried also to use a new SD card.
HW 4.1.1

It's quite important that there are no files on the SD card apart from the firmware package (unzipped) when you're doing the firmware update. Likewise after the firmware update you should make sure that the SD card only has the configuration file on it. You might have to use an SD formatting utility to be sure that the SD card is properly cleaned before either stage.

Are you trying to just run the new D-Prem as a stand-alone unit initially, rather than in a dual mono set-up? That would probably make things easier to debug.

If all else fails I guess it is probably a good idea to talk to Devialet support.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(14-Mar-2023, 21:32)thumb5 Wrote:
(14-Mar-2023, 21:13)gianventu Wrote: The full message is "illegal configuration" contact support.
Does that message come up during the firmware upgrade procedure?  On the face of it, it looks like a problem with the configuration file (dp_cfg.txt) rather than the firmware.

(14-Mar-2023, 21:13)gianventu Wrote: I was trying to install the last available firmware version for d premier (10.1.0)

I wondered whether you might have to upgrade in steps from 5.5.0 to 10.1.0 since it's quite a big jump otherwise.

(14-Mar-2023, 21:13)gianventu Wrote: Tried also to use a new SD card.
HW 4.1.1

It's quite important that there are no files on the SD card apart from the firmware package (unzipped) when you're doing the firmware update.  Likewise after the firmware update you should make sure that the SD card only has the configuration file on it.  You might have to use an SD formatting utility to be sure that the SD card is properly cleaned before either stage.

Are you trying to just run the new D-Prem as a stand-alone unit initially, rather than in a dual mono set-up?  That would probably make things easier to debug.

If all else fails I guess it is probably a good idea to talk to Devialet support.

Ok guys, problem solved!
I tried an hard reset keeping the power button pushed for several seconds. When restarted, the firmware has been upgraded regularly! Now I have the latest version installed.
Hope my experience will be useful for other forumers, and thank everybody for helping.