Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alexa Echo or ?
First of all my question is not exactly about streaming - so apologies in advance.  I have not found a perfect fitting thread so here I am.

I am using D200 with my beautiful Sons Faber Guarneri Momentos.  I recently downgraded to these speakers from Avantgarde Duo Omegas.  I am in minimalism phase of my life and I am trying to minimize everything I have.  That is one the reasons why I love Devialet: less component, less cable, etc.  I use two sources: one dedicated Lenovo laptop via USB, and one Transrotor turntable (did I mention I love Devialet because I don't need a phono amp?).

The other day, on an airport, out of whim, I purchased an Amazon Alexa Echo.  I think it is 2nd gen, and it was heavily discounted.  So I wanted to give it a go.

I am consultant living in serviced apartments, hotels, short term rentals, etc.  Upon putting the unit in my hotel room, the setup was a breeze.  But more importantly now I listen more music because it is so darn easy to do so: you just speak to Echo and it plays the music.  So I fell in love with the machine.  Subsequently I started thinking (believe me, nothing good comes when I think).  Can I connect this wonderful machine to my Devialet?  Surely there is a 3.5mm audio out on the machine.  I am yet to try with my Devialet, but reviews of Echo is not exactly praise for its sound quality.  But I need to try, and I will try as soon as I am back.

But, getting spoiled with this wonderful interface, I started looking for alternatives.  Apple HomePod does not have audio out.  Newer generations of Alexa do have with slightly better sound reviews but I have not tried them.

My question is whether anyone have tried pairing their Devialet with these so called smart speakers?  Most of the alternatives I saw praise themselves on their own speakers/sound quality.  But I am least interested in their internal speakers, but rather in their communicating ability.  Any experience, recommendation? Am I crazy to drive Devialet with 3.5mm to RCA connector?
Source: Transrotor turntable
Amplification: Devialet 200
Speakers: Avantgarde Acoustic Duo Omega